[ecrea] PhD position urban media engagement at Erasmus University Rotterdam

Sat Jun 17 09:46:35 GMT 2017

PHD VACANCY URBAN MEDIA ENGAGEMENT at Erasmus University Rotterdam, working with Jeroen Jansz, Julia Kneer and Liesbet Van Zoonen. To apply, please send your application letter with your research proposal, your resume, your publication list (if applicable), and the names and contact details of two referees, before August 12, 2017 by e-mail to (vacancies /at/ eshcc.eur.nl). Please mention “PhD Urban Media Engagement”. You
should receive a confirmation mail within two weeks.

The project asks if and how young people construct an urban identity from their creative media practices. We build on two strands of urban research that claim, respectively, that creativity is a strong driver of a shared urban culture and that urban identities are less divisive and more inclusive than national ones. Our further integration of media research about active audience behaviour leads to a multidisciplinary perspective that reveals the potential of urban identities to exceed traditional divisions
among youth based on national and ethnic backgrounds.
We use a multi-method design to analyse how young people understand their experiences of urban life and construct their urban identity from the active reception and production of (interactive) media. We collaborate with the Rotterdam ‘maker space’ Bouwkeet and two creative agencies to create a living lab in which young people of diverse backgrounds consume, discuss and make media products.