[ecrea] CFP for *Double Lives: Film Composers in the Concert Hall*

Wed May 10 19:31:24 GMT 2017

CFP for *Double Lives: Film Composers in the Concert Hall*

To fill out a collection titled *Double Lives: Film Composers in the Concert Hall*, editor James Wierzbicki invites scholarly essays of between 5,000 and 7,000 words that deal with ‘iconic’ film composers who in spite of their busy studio schedules nevertheless maintained life-long careers as composers for the concert hall.

The title borrows unashamedly from Mikos Rozsa’s 1982 autobiography *Double Life*, which in turn borrows from a 1947 murder-thriller for which Rozsa provided the score. The film concerns an actor whose professional and private lives become fatally entangled, and “this is precisely what I have always been at pains to ensure did /not/ happen in the case of my own professional life,” Rozsa writes in the Prologue. “My ‘public’ career as composer for films ran alongside my ‘private’ development as composer for myself, or at least for nonutilitarian purposes: two parallel lines, and in the interests of both my concern has always been to prevent them meeting”.

Already commissioned are essays on the concert music of Rozsa, Georges Auric, Don Banks, Bernard Herrmann, Jerome Moross, Ennio Morricone, Leonard Rosenman, and Laura Rossi. Especially sought are essays dealing with the concert music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Zbigniew Preisner, Nino Rota, Franz Waxman, and John Williams, but suggestions for essays on other composers are welcomed.

The book will be published in 2018. Persons interested in contributing should send a proposal of ca. 300 words and a brief c.v. to (james.wierzbicki /at/ sydney.edu.au) <mailto:(james.wierzbicki /at/ sydney.edu.au)> by 30 June 2017.