[ecrea] cfp - The Value of Comedy - Symposium

Wed May 03 23:18:30 GMT 2017

*The Value of Comedy. Day symposium, Friday August 11^th 2017. *

Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh.

We are delighted to have both *Sharon Lockyer, Director of the international Centre for Comedy Studies Research at Brunel University London* and *Oliver Double, Director of the Popular and Comic Performance Research Centre at the University of Kent* as our key invited speakers.

Our discussion of the value of comedy  will be within these three areas:

*Current public sphere debate *

This could include discussion of:

- humour circulating on the internet and social media

- satirical performances and publications

- political campaigning and publicity

*Regional/national cultural life*

This could include discussion of:

- the use of humour within particular communities

- the characteristics of ‘national’ humour and comedy

and its (mis)translation

- regional comedy

*The creative industries*

This could include discussion of:

- live performance comedy

- traditional and new media comedy

- industries, business models, creative work and production

2017 is the 70^th anniversary of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, so we particularly encourage papers on the Fringe itself: its history, organisation, ethos, shows and performances.

Feel free to run ideas by us! Please email your 300 word abstract by 31^st May 2017 - or any queries you have - to:

Jill Marshall, Media, Communication and Performing Arts (JMarshall /at/ qmu.ac.uk) <mailto:(JMarshall /at/ qmu.ac.uk)>

or

Agata Korecka, Media, Communication and Performing Arts (AKorecka /at/ qmu.ac.uk) <mailto:(AKorecka /at/ qmu.ac.uk)>

Registration will open in June, when it will be possible to book accommodation in our Halls of Residence at the same time (limited space available).