[ecrea] Feminist Media and Cultural Studies Summer School

Tue Mar 14 22:23:17 GMT 2017

*Gender and Celebrity Summer School*

*22 - 26 May 2017, Lancaster University (and various venues)*

*Featuring a public lecture and discussion by Prof Jack Halberstam (University of Southern California on 'Trans* Bowie, Trans* Prince'*

Our feminist media and cultural studies summer school is a five day event aimed at postgraduates and academics, run by the Centre for Gender and Women's Studies at Lancaster University.

This year our theme is gender and celebrity. What makes a celebrity? How do celebrities connect with gender politics and to our construction of ourselves as gendered beings? How might we 'think with' and 'against' celebrities? How could we produce a feminist analysis of celebrity figures, machines and economies?

This summer school invites you examine celebrity through a feminist lens, and in doing so to critically explore questions of media production, identity and representation, desire, capitalism and value, visibility, activism and social and cultural change.

The summer school is led by Dr Debra Ferreday, Dr Tracey Jensen and Dr Kate McNicholas Smith and includes guest speakers, workshops, film screenings and more!

Prices for the full 5 day summer school: External Participant Price £90.00 / Lancaster University Staff/Students £15

for further details and to register, see https://gws403summerschool.wordpress.com/https://gws403summerschool.wordpress.com/