[ecrea] call for proposals--book in Affect Theory and Rhetorical Persuasion in Mass Comm.

Sat Feb 25 12:45:34 GMT 2017

We are soliciting book chapter proposals for a book on the theme of affect theory and rhetorical persuasion in mass communication. An editor at Routledge is interested in reviewing a detailed book proposal.

We invite submissions that examine the role of affect and emotion in rhetorical persuasion in the mass media, such as political campaigns, advertising, public relations, news reporting, and strategic communication. We understand that there have been many definitions of affect and sometimes affect and emotions are used interchangeably. You may choose your own definition of affect or emotion as long as you articulate the definition clearly in your paper. However, we want to go beyond traditionally analyses of emotion (or pathos, pathetic appeal) in persuasion, and affect theory presents an opportunity to take the scholarly conversation in new directions.

At this point, we plan to divide the book into two large sections, one focusing on theory and one focusing on case analysis. For the theory section, we welcome contributions that examine the relationships between affect/emotion and rhetorical persuasion, the history of affect theory, the affective turn in the humanities, etc. For case analysis, we welcome analysis of recent political events, such as the 2016 presidential election, Black Lives Matter, Brexit, Superbowl ads, and case analysis of public relations and advertising. These are just some examples. If your paper does not fit into these two broad categories, you are welcome to submit it as well. We consider any submissions that relate to the broad theme of the book.

Intended audience: We intend this collection be used as an undergraduate and graduate textbook.

Deadline: Please submit an abstract of 250 words and a brief bio by April 30 to (lzhang /at/ uwlax.edu) <mailto:(lzhang /at/ uwlax.edu)>

We expect to submit the book proposal to Routledge by May 15. If the book proposal is accepted, we expect that you submit the paper in six months.