[ecrea] Call for Participants for Three-day PhD Course: Dialogic Communication, Participation and Collaboration in Research

Thu Jan 05 15:49:34 GMT 2017

*_Call for Participants for Three-day PhD Course: Dialogic Communication, Participation and Collaboration in Research _*

*__*

*Monday, 24 April – Wednesday 26 April 2017 (9.30 am – 4 pm each day) *

**

*_Organisers_**: Centre for Dialogic Communication (research group), Department of Communication and Arts, Roskilde University, Roskilde, Denmark*

**

*_Location_**: Department of Communication and Arts, Roskilde University, Roskilde, Denmark*

**

*About the Course *

In collaborative research, social actors in the field under study are invited to participate in the

co-production of knowledge across the multiple knowledge forms that are brought into play.A

central assumption is that new knowledge can be generated through participation in dialogue

across differences, including differences of organizational position, professional background,

position, theoretical perspective, gender and ethnicity. But what do “dialogue”, “participation”

and “co-production/co-creation” mean concretely in collaborative PhD projects? How are they

played out in specific organizational and sociopolitical settings which shape and are shaped by

research practices? This course takes its starting point in the assumption that collaborative

research is fraught with tensions which arise in dialogue between different participants and across

different forms of knowledge and hierarchies of power. On the course, we will go into depth with

critical, reflexive ways of understanding and tackling the tensions in collaborative knowledge

production. We will work hands-on with the interplay between metatheoretical assumptions,

theory, methodology, methods, empirical material and practice.

The course is designed for PhD students who are engaged in collaborative research. We

understand collaborative research as a heterogeneous field embracing different kinds of

Action Research and other approaches in which research is construed as “co-production/co-

creation” where actors outside the research institution are invited to participate as co-producers

of knowledge/co-researchers. The course is open for PhD students in different fields and

empirical topic areas within and across the social sciences and humanities.

Relevant topics for PhD research include but are not restricted to

  * Dialogic, participatory approaches to communication and
    collaboration in health care and social work,
  * Co-creation in participatory media,
  * Co-design in digital communication,
  * ”Bottom up” organisational change,
  * Citizen involvement in public administration and urban planning,
  * Public engagement with science and the environment.

Based on principles of dialogue, we will strive to create a space for mutual learning across the

different fields and topics.

**

*Teachers*

Associate Professor Lisbeth Frølunde

Associate Professor Birgitte Ravn Olesen

Associate Professor Christina Hee Pedersen

Professor Louise Phillips (PhD course coordinator)

All the course teachers research and teach in communication studies in the Department of

Communication and Arts, Roskilde University and are members of the Centre for

Dialogic Communication (departmental research group).

*Course aims **__*

The main aim of the course is to support participants’ PhD projects by working with approaches to

dialogic communication, participation and collaboration in relation to tensions in collaborative

research. We will focus on the interplay between theoretical lens, methodological approach,

analysis and practice. The course is intended to provide participants with insights into the

tensions in collaborative research and with methods for tackling complexity both with respect to

their own research practices and with respect to other practices that represent objects of

empirical analysis.

The course is designed to help to answer complex questions such as the following:

  * How can we practise, analyse, and understand collaborative research
    in ways that take account of the complexity of relations among the
    collaborating actors and among the different knowledge forms?
  * How can we analyse and understand communication processes among the
    collaborating actors in terms of different theories of dialogic
    communication as processes where different knowledge forms meet, are
    negotiated and may collide?
  * How can we use these analyses in order to tackle the tension between
    opening up for a plurality of different voices /and/ managing the
    research process in order to create a product (or set of products)
    that can satisfy all the relevant parties (including the board of
    Ph.D. examiners that demand scientifically valid knowledge- claims
    and practitioners who seek input that they can use)?
  * What can we do to tackle tensions in our research practice
    critically and reflexively without derailing or scuppering the project?

  * How can we critically and reflexively work with issues of democracy,
    power and control in the practice and analysis of collaborative
    knowledge production? How do we conceptualise power? And how is this
    understanding of power performative in different stages of the
    research process and with which consequences for the relations we
    establish and the results we arrive at?
  * How can we contribute to the development of theories, concepts and
    methods that can further and improve practices of dialogic
    communication, participation and collaboration?

**

*Course format *

**

*T*he course will be organised along interactive, dialogic lines in a series of workshops.

Morning workshops will be thematically organised in order to address the questions listed above.

They will be based on a combination of presentations by course teachers and hands-on group

work. Afternoon workshops will consist of course participants’ presentations and feedback based

on the 10-page papers submitted by course participants prior to the course. Afternoon workshops

will be divided into groups of 6 participants. It is expected that every group member has read all

papers in their group prior to the course. In addition, there will be two designated feedback givers

(1 PhD student & 1 teacher) who will give detailed feedback. A detailed programme for each day

will be sent out in March.

The aim of this format is to create a dynamic interplay between the metatheoretical, theoretical,

methodological, empirical and practice-oriented perspectives brought into play on the course and

in PhD research practices.

*Course registration __*

To register for the course, please send a mail to Karen Kleis ((kleis /at/ ruc.dk) <mailto:(kleis /at/ ruc.dk)>), doctoral school administrator, Department of Communication and Arts, Roskilde University. The deadline for registration is *10 March 2017*.

To participate in the course, you have to submit a 10-page paper by Monday, 3 April 2017 with the following content:

a) an outline of the research design of the PhD project

b) a description of the ongoing research practices including methods of data production and analysis

c) a description of challenges, dilemmas and problems that you would like input in order to tackle.

If you have already produced some data, you are welcome to include some of it (1-5 pages, in addition to the 10-page paper) so that it may form an object of analysis in morning workshops. In addition, all participants should read a collection of course readings prior to the course. The course readings will be distributed in February 2017.

The course will be cancelled by 12 March if there are fewer than 12 registered participants.

You are also welcome to contact Louise Phillips ((louisep /at/ ruc.dk) <mailto:(louisep /at/ ruc.dk)>) if you would like more information about the course.

*__*

ECTS points: 4 ECTS

**

*Course fee*

**

2400 Danish Kroner (includes lunch and refreshments). The course is free of charge for PhD students from Roskilde University and PhDs enrolled in Danish programmes within the Humanities.