Archive for April 2017

[ecrea] Cinematic Ethics & Globalization

Wed Apr 26 16:58:34 GMT 2017

On Friday, 2 June 2017, Film and Television Studies at the University of Glasgow is delighted to host a one day workshop on Cinematic Ethics and Globalization.
Confirmed speakers as follows:
Chelsea Birks (University of Glasgow)
Lucy Bolton (Queen Mary University of London)
Frederic Brayard (University of Glasgow)
Shohini Chaudhuri (University of Essex)
Nike Jung (University of Warwick)
David Martin-Jones (University of Glasgow)
Anat Pick (Queen Mary University of London)
Robert Sinnerbrink (Macquarie University)
Research into the cinematic exploration of ethics has grown rapidly since the 2000s into a flourishing new field. This workshop seeks to contextualise and broaden notions of what is considered ‘ethical cinema’, and to explore how cinema might be regarded as ‘doing ethics’, through a focused examination at the interdisciplinary nexus of film and philosophy. Drawing both on recent work in film-philosophy and on the long heritage of politically- and historically-inflected film theoretical traditions (e.g. debates surrounding so-called third cinema), this event will focus on how our understanding of questions of ethics in cinema inevitably also relates to the situation of films within our globalized world. By investigating the intersection between cinema, ethics, and globalization, this workshop will open up new perspectives on a number of issues and debates, such as how contemporary ethico-political cinema works today, how best to decolonise the current film-philosophical approach to ethics, to reflecting on the ethics of film-philosophy as a cultural practice in our globalized world. The workshop is free and open to all, but attendees must register on EventBrite at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cinematic-ethics-and-globalization-workshop-tickets-33525664164
Please note that catering will be provided only to volunteers and speakers.
You can find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/1280138758687959/