Archive for April 2017

[ecrea] Call for Applications: Urban Ethnography Summer School in Hong Kong

Wed Apr 19 03:49:32 GMT 2017

Extended Deadline for Applications
Urban Ethnography Summer School in Hong Kong
Last Seats Available

Visit our Website:
http://hk.urbanethno.net

Follow the #UESSHK hashtag.

We invite international PhD students from sociology and anthropology, media and visual studies, art and architecture, urban planning and policy-making to join us in in Hong Kong for the Urban Ethnography Summer School.

Together, we will explore new ways to analyse the city, make sense of the urban experience and communicate our research. The program will include training, workshops, fieldwork and public presentations. A unique time and space to discover Hong Kong and to carve a new lens for your research!

DATES AND LOCATION

Tue 22nd of August to Sat 26th of August 2017
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Department of Applied Social Science

OUR MASTER-CLASS SPEAKERS

Anna Greenspan, Assistant Professor of Global Contemporary Media at NYU Shanghai Anne Jarrigeon, Assistant Professor of Urbanism at the Paris School of Urbanism

HONG KONG AS FIELDSITE

Cosmopolitan and conflictual space, Hong Kong provides us with the perfect living stage to test and update our methods of observation. With its urban density, high-velocity, social heterogeneity, Hong Kong presents a unique blend of traditional and hyper-modern architectures. The specific field site will be unveiled during the second day of the Summer School. Our fieldwork will give rise to a variety of practices: ethnographic interventions, audio documentaries, visual and participatory experiments, etc.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

15 JANUARY - Opening of Applications
15 APRIL - First Application Deadline
20 MAY- EXTENDED APPLICATION DEADLINE
15 JUNE - Notification of Acceptance
15 JULY - Final Registration

To participate, applicants must submit:
(1) Two-page presentation of their current research project including a description of their methodological issues and concerns (2) Two-page statement of their interest in urban ethnography and visual methods as well as a reflection on the role of the city in their life and personal experience
(3) Updated Academic CV

Send your application as a single PDF file to (hk /at/ urbanethno.net) <mailto:(hk /at/ urbanethno.net)>.

Participation in the Summer School is free of charge, but participants will be expected to cover the fees of their transportation and accommodation. (The organisers will provide recommendations)