Archive for April 2017

[ecrea] Call for Abstracts - #ScreentimeBU: Fake News, Real Emotion, and The Mediated Self

Tue Apr 18 08:50:45 GMT 2017

Please consider submitting to our third annual graduate-student run conference at Boston University through the Division of Emerging Media Studies. Details are below -- please spread the word and let me know questions or concerns.

#SCREENTIMEBU: Fake News, Real Emotion, and The Mediated Self

GRADUATE STUDENT CONFERENCE

Deadline for Abstracts

May 22, 2017

Conference Date

June 22, 2017

9am - 5pm

The graduate students of Boston University’s Division of Emerging Media Studies are calling for abstracts for their third annual conference on emerging media. #ScreentimeBU is a graduate conference that provides a platforms for students to showcase their research and to network with peers in emerging media studies.

#ScreentimeBU aims to explore the civic, social, and psychological implications of today’s media landscape. This conference is an opportunity to bridge diverse perspectives on the roles of users and technology in new media and to lay the groundwork for future research in the field.

Emerging media studies is an inherently interdisciplinary field, and as such we welcome abstracts from a variety of disciplines on a range of topics centered around our conference theme: Fake News, Real Emotion, and The Mediated Self. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:

  *

    Alternative media, and citizen journalism

  *

    How emerging technologies change journalism and civic engagement

  *

    Online relationships, communities, and social networks

  *

    Big data analysis and machine learning

  *

    Media effects and changes in digital media consumption

  *

    Self-presentation on social media and digital privacy concerns

  *

    Video games, virtual reality, and augmented reality

The conference is free of charge for both attendees and speakers. For additional information about the conference, please visithttp://sites.bu.edu/demsconference/ <http://sites.bu.edu/demsconference/>(website will be updated with additional details in the coming weeks).

Deadline for Abstracts: May 22. Please submit abstracts of no more than 300 words to (demsconf /at/ bu.edu) <mailto:(demsconf /at/ bu.edu)>. Include your name and institutional affiliation (department/university), program and year of study, research focus/interests, and contact information (email and phone number) with all submissions. Abstracts will be peer reviewed, and applicants will be notified of their acceptance on a rolling basis no later than May 29.

#ScreentimeBU Abstract Team

Division of Emerging Media Studies

College of Communication

Boston University