Archive for April 2017

[ecrea] A new book in the Recursions-series: Cinema, Trance and Cybernetics

Tue Apr 11 20:35:00 GMT 2017

Announcing a new publication in the Recursions-book series (Amsterdam University Press):

Ute Holl’s Cinema Trance and Cybernetics is available now as hardback for library etc. purchase. It will be also made available as Open Access in the near future!

We've all had the experience of watching a film and feeling like we've been in a trance. This book takes that experience seriously, explaining cinema as a cultural technique of trance, one that unconsciously transforms our perceptions. Ute Holl moves from anthropological and experimental cinema through nineteenth-century psychological laboratories, which she shows developed techniques for testing, measuring, and classifying the mind that can be seen as a prehistory of cinema, one that allows us to see the links among cinema, anthropology, psychology, and cybernetics.

http://en.aup.nl/books/9789089646682-cinema-trance-and-cybernetics.html

The book also includes Pasi Väliaho’s Foreword to the English edition which you can read here (opens as PDF):
http://en.aup.nl/download/Cinema%20Trance%20and%20Cybernetics%20Look%20Inside.pdf

For a list of all the books in the Recursions-series, please go to:
http://en.aup.nl/series/recursions

In the coming months forthcoming is Liam Young’s study about cultural techniques of lists:
http://en.aup.nl/books/9789462981102-list-cultures.html