Archive for March 2017

[ecrea] The Past and Future of Rights Cinema - Screening Resistance

Fri Mar 10 11:44:17 GMT 2017

**

*The Past and Future of Rights Cinema *

**

*Friday March 10^th and Saturday March 11^th 2017*

**

*Screening Resistance*

**

This year’s theme is on *Screening Resistance*, rights through activism and archive. We will be debating the power of films about political activism and civil rights through observational and archive film practices. The two excellent films we are screening also both use amazing music soundtracks.

The incredible documentary, recently released and made by the intrepid Rama Thiaw

*/The Revolution Won’t Be Televised/*(Rama Thiaw, Senegal, 2016, 110 mins)

The film gives an insider’s point of view of the evolution of a civil movement, ‘Y’en a marre’, inspired by music rappers against corrupt President Wade in Senegal who wanted to extend his period in power. The film is named after Gil Scott Heron’s rap song. When asked how she became involved in making the film, the Director Rama Thiaw replied:

‘Thiat and Kilifeu had a long career of 20 years doing music and being activists. So I knew that they would do something, and it was logical that they would make something huge during the election period. They were the first ones who criticized President Wade, but they also criticized the president before Wade,*Abdou Diouf*. They were never afraid of telling the truth. But I didn’t expect that they would start such a big civil movement. It was a surprise for me also because we Senegalese are not in the habit of demonstrating on the street. It wasn’t a part of our habits before ‘Y’en a marre’. But, those guys gave us this idea. It was also a really new thing, because there were a lot of women and old people who were on the street with young people. It wasn’t only a youth movement.’ (Rama Thiaw interviewed by Marc Giradot, Berlin, 11 March 2016)

*Showing Friday 6.00.p.m at the Gordon Square Cinema, Birkbeck *

*FREE SIGN UP HERE **http://www.bbk.ac.uk/events-calendar/the-past-and-future-of-rights-cinema-session-1***

*Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 *(Göran Hugo Olsson, Sweden, 201, 92 mins)

The powerful compilation film on the rise of the Black Power Movement in America made by Göran Hugo Olsson and produced by Danny Glover. This masterpiece of archival research and editing draws on 16mm film shot by Swedish journalists who went to cover the unrest and revolution in the US. It features leaders of the Black Power Movement, Stokely Carmichael, Bobby Searle, Angela Davis and Eldridge Cleaver amongst others in open, relaxed and informal moments and interviews. Commentary from African American activists such as Harry Belafonte, Erykah Badu, Talib Kweli and Melvin Van Peeples, brings its contemporary relevance to the fore. The music is from Questlove and Om’Mas Keith.

Come and join us to discuss these important two films in the context of rights cinema.

*Saturday 1.00.p.m at the Gordon Square Cinema, Birkbeck *

*FREE SIGN UP HERE **http://www.bbk.ac.uk/events-calendar/the-past-and-future-of-rights-cinema-session-two***