Archive for February 2017

[ecrea] Tenure-Track Hire in Data & Networked Publics

Tue Feb 14 21:24:01 GMT 2017

TENURE-TRACK POSITION IN DATA AND NETWORKED PUBLICS
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION STUDIES
CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY, MONTREAL

Concordia University’s Department of Communication Studies invites
applications for a full-time tenure-track position in Data and
Networked Publics. We seek a scholar who unites critical and cultural
theory with computational methods in the study of networked publics.
In particular, we seek a scholar able to analyze the connections,
rhythms and rhetorics embedded in the data, devices and algorithms
that form networked publics. The ideal candidate will not only
theorize but also analyze the production and accumulation of the vast
data sets resulting from our actions on digital networks and their
transformations of the nature and study of public life.

Subject to budgetary approval, the position will begin August 1, 2017
and will normally be made at the Assistant Professor level; however,
appointments at a higher rank may be considered. Candidates will have
a PhD in communication studies, film or media studies, new media
studies, cultural studies, science and technology studies, or a
related discipline. We welcome scholars who apply their expertise
toward critical and feminist praxis, connective action and social
justice.

The candidate will be expected to teach in all four programs (BA,
Diploma, MA and PhD), to supervise undergraduate and graduate
students, to engage in ongoing research and/or research-creation
activities, and to contribute through service to the life and
reputation of the Department, the University and the wider community.
The candidate must be able to teach quantitative methods, particularly
how to theorize, design and analyze the large data sets produced by
the rhythms and networks of public life, including social media data.
Normal teaching load is 12 credits (e.g., 2 courses per semester).

The Department’s faculty is at the forefront of the theorization and
production of a wide range of media and our renowned undergraduate
programs offer courses in sound, video, and intermedia underpinned by
critical frameworks including cultural studies, media studies, cinema
studies, environmental studies, game studies, mobility studies, and
the politics of identity. Founded in 1965, the Department of
Communication Studies at Concordia University is Canada’s oldest
degree-granting department in the discipline. The Department offers
programs leading to the BA, Graduate Diploma, MA, and PhD degrees. The
undergraduate Degree in Communication Studies is well known for its
integration of media production and critical theoretical perspectives;
we offer the only undergraduate program in Communication and Cultural
Studies and the only graduate diploma in Communication in Canada; our
MA in Media Studies is unique in its structure and focus; our growing
PhD program offers students advanced training in a wide range of
fields in media and cultural studies, including research-creation. In
keeping with Concordia’s mission, the Department fosters inclusivity
in its research, curriculum, and teaching practices, and is committed
to serving the needs of a diverse student population. Montreal, where
both campuses are located, is a world class city of over 3 million
people, offering a rich and diverse cultural life, and the
intellectual stimulation of four major universities. In addition, the
city is a major new site of innovation and excellence in emerging
digital media technologies, with significant government and private
industry support. Candidates are encouraged to visit our departmental
website for additional information concerning our programs and
priorities: http://www.concordia.ca/artsci/coms.html

Concordia offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits
package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits,
paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring
and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our
commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.

Applications must be received by no later than March 24, 2017. They
should be emailed as a single PDF to Ms. Sheelah O’Neill, Department
Administrator at (sheelah.oneill /at/ concordia.ca) with the subject heading
Tenure-track position in Data & Networked Publics.

Three letters of reference must also be sent directly to Ms. Sheelah
O’Neill at the same email address (Subject: Reference for [Candidate’s
Name]) by March 24, 2017:

The application must consist of the following items, in the given
order, as a single PDF. Include embedded links if/as necessary:
• letter of introduction and intent
• a curriculum vitæ
• statement of research interests
• samples of recent publications (max 2)
• statement of teaching philosophy
• evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., samples of student work;
syllabi; teaching evaluations)
For all inquiries, please be in touch with the Department Chair, Dr.
Sandra Gabriele.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian
citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.
Concordia University is committed to employment equity.