Archive for March 2016

[ecrea] Teaching Media Quarterly CFLP: Media and Environment

Tue Mar 08 07:33:34 GMT 2016

Call for Lesson Plans: Teaching Media Quarterly Vol. 4, No. 2

“Media and Environment: Teaching in/about the Anthropocene”

Submission deadline: Earth Day, April 22, 2016

/Teaching Media Quarterly/ seeks lesson plans that ask students to
critically engage with the complex relationship between media and the
environment. We ask for submissions that explicate the role of media
discourses and media technologies in light of growing concerns about an
array of environmental issues including, but not limited to, climate
change, drought, food justice, resource extraction, and migration. We
encourage pedagogical perspectives informed by research and activism
that examine the natural sciences, journalism, materiality, popular
culture, and cultural studies within the context of environmental thought.

We invite submitters to consider the following potential topics as
inspiration:

▪ Media technology and their material consequences

▪ News media and climate change/justice

▪ Representations of nature and/or environmentalism in popular culture

▪ Green and environmentalist media

▪ Greenwashing and corporate communications

▪ Advocacy campaigns produced by students and/or social movements

Teaching Media Quarterly Submission Guidelines

All submissions must include: 1) a title, 2) an overview (word limit:
500 words) 3) comprehensive rationale (using accessible language explain
the purpose of the assignment(s), define key terms, and situate in
relevant literature) (word limit: 500), 4) a general timeline, 5) a
detailed lesson plan and assignment instructions, 6) teaching materials
(handouts, rubrics, discussion prompts, viewing guides, etc.), 7) a full
bibliography of readings, links, and/or media examples, and 8) a short
biography (100-150 words).

Please email all submissions using the TMQ.Submission.Template (2)
<http://www.teachingmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/TMQ.Submission.Template-2.docx> (.docx)
in ONE Microsoft Word document to (teachingmedia.contact /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(teachingmedia.contact /at/ gmail.com)>.

Review Policy

Submissions will be reviewed by each member of the editorial board.
Editors will make acceptance decisions based on their vision for the
issue and an assessment of contributions. It is the goal of Teaching
Media Quarterly to notify submitters of the editors’ decisions within
two weeks of submission receipt.Teaching Media Quarterly is dedicated to
circulating practical and timely approaches to media concepts and topics
from a variety of disciplinary and methodological perspectives. Our goal
is to promote collaborative exchange of undergraduate teaching resources
between media educators at higher education institutions. As we hope for
continuing discussions and exchange as well as contributions to Teaching
Media Quarterly we encourage you to visit our website
athttp://www.teachingmedia.org/ <http://www.teachingmedia.org/>

    --

Heidi Zimmerman, PhD
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in Writing Instruction