[ecrea] Revised Edition 2015 of News Reporting and Editing

Sun Aug 02 15:22:09 GMT 2015

2016 Revised Edition of my book /News Reporting and Editing/, is coming
in the market this month. It is published by Sterling Publishers Pvt Ltd
New Delhi-110020. Here are Preface and Contents:

*Preface*

This book was first published in 1987 and since then it has been
reprinted and revised several times due to changes in technology
resulting in changes in journalism practices. Since the last revision
there have been revolutionary changes in methods of reporting and
editing with emergence of social media platforms, mobile devices and
concept of integrated newsroom.

When I entered journalism in 1970s, landline phones were a luxury in
India. As a correspondent of /Nai Dunia/, Indore, I had the authority to
file news reports from New Delhi through telegraph. At that time, news
agencies were using teleprinters to distribute news. For long distance
connections, one had to book a call and wait. I have been through all
the changes to the present day and experienced the impact of
technological changes in practice of journalism.

Though I shifted to media academics in 1985, I kept myself updated about
the changes by being in touch with the profession, not only in India but
internationally as well. I travelled around the world over the years for
conferences and wherever I went, I made it a point to visit media
institutions. I have been to media institutions from Mexico to Australia
and from Russia to South Africa; from the most advanced in Germany to
less developed in Sierra Leone. I have interacted with media owners from
all over the world at the International Press Institute Conferences in
Vienna (2002), Warsaw (2004), Istanbul (2007) and Helsinki (2009) and at
WAN-IFRA in New Delhi (2014).

I participated in the International Association of Media and
Communication Research (IAMCR) Conferences held in New Delhi (1986),
Yugoslavia (1990), Brazil (1992), Ireland (1993), South Korea (1994),
Australia (1996), Mexico (1997), United Kingdom (1998), Singapore
(2000), Hungary (2001), Spain (2002), Egypt (2006) and Sweden (2008). I
also participated in the UN World Summit on Information Society at
Geneva (2003) and Tunis (2005) as an IAMCR delegate.

I spoke at conferences organised by Moscow State University (1995,
2002), Canberra University (1996, 1999), University of Leicester

(2000), British Film Institute (2001), University of Tampere, Finland
(2002), Center for Political Studies, Tashkent (2006), Asian Media
Information and Communication Centre (AMIC), Singapore (1994, 2000),
World Association of Press Councils Bagamoyo, Tanzania (2004),
International Institute of Sociology, Cologne (1997), Krakow, Poland
(2001), Commonwealth Media Forums, Kigali, Rwanda (2011) and Freetown,
Sierra Leone (2012) and World Public Forum, Rhodes Island, Greece
(2013). I chaired sessions at AMIC conference in Manila (2001), the
Dialogue on Cultural Diversity Forum, Barcelona (2004) and 2^nd World
Journalism Education Congress, Grahamstown, South Africa (2010). Thus, I
tried to keep in touch with the changes in media technology, practices
and academics.

As this book has become a standard textbook in many countries, I felt
the need to revise it thoroughly. I have retained the classic content of
earlier editions and incorporated suggestions made by many journalists
who used this book when they were students. Readers can give their
feedback and suggestions at (kmsiimc /at/ rediffmail.com). They can also reach
me through facebook.com/KMShrivastava and on twitter:@KMShrivastav.

New Delhi, June2015*K.M.Shrivastava*

*Contents*

/Preface v /

1. The Concept of News 1

2. Reporter and Sub-editor 6

3. The News Story 14

4. News Gathering 27

5. Press Releases 33

6. Reporting Speeches 42

7. Press Conference 68

8. Reporting Parliament 103

9. Tips on Beats 126

10. Interview 142

11. Feature: Human Interest and Depth Reporting 154

12. Development Reporting 166

13. News at the Desk 176

14. Care is the key 209

15. Towards Integrated Newsroom 220

16. The Social Media Era 233

17. Rules of Punctuation 250

18. They Said It 270

/Glossary /278

If there is any difficulty in getting the book please contact publisher
at (skg /at/ sterlingpublishers.com) <mailto:(skg /at/ sterlingpublishers.com)>
K.M.Shrivastava
Professor
Indian Institute of Mass Communication
New JNU Campus