[ecrea] Call for submissions (and participation) for the 2nd FAIL! workshop - at IR16 in Phoenix

Sun Aug 02 14:12:18 GMT 2015

                                                 #FAIL!

         Things that didn't work out in social media research -

                       and what we can learn from them

                       2nd #FAIL! workshop (#fail2015b)

              at Internet Research Conference IR16 (#ir16)

                                      October 21, 2015

                                  Phoenix, Arizona, USA

http://failworkshops.wordpress.com/

-------------------

THEME: Things that didn't work out in social media research - and what
we can learn from them

-------------------

Have you ever tried approaches in social media research that did not
quite work out? Now is the time to share these experiences!

We would like experienced social media researchers to submit their
individual stories of "failed" research approaches in the field of
studying social media and social media users. We are looking for
examples from all phases of the research process (e.g. data collection,
data processing, data analysis, data sharing, also including
administrative tasks, research ethics and legal challenges) that did not
work out as expected.

Presented case studies should help other researchers in the field to
advance research methodology by identifying unsuccessful approaches and
to inspire discussions on alternative solutions.

PARTICIPATION & PRESENTATIONS

We welcome IR16 participants who want to join the general discussion on
pitfalls and failed approaches in social media.

In addition, we will select interesting case studies to be presented
during the workshop based on an open call for submissions. Please submit
an abstract describing your specific experiences if you want to give a
presentation during the workshop.

Please note that all workshop participants (including presenters) have
to register at the main conference and that registration fees apply (for
details see: http://aoir.org/ir16/registration/). You can sign up for
the #FAIL! workshop during the registration process.

----------------------------

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

----------------------------

Submissions should be structured abstracts of around 800 words. Please
see the formatting template and additional details on how to prepare and
submit your proposal:
https://failworkshops.wordpress.com/call-for-submissions-at-ir16/

Submissions will be made via EasyChair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fail2015b

Authors of accepted submissions will present their work at #fail2015b
workshop in Phoenix. The abstracts of accepted submissions and
presentation slides will be shared via the workshop Website.

---------------------------

IMPORTANT DATES

---------------------------

Abstract submission deadline: September 10, 2015 (23:59 Hawaii time)

Notification: October 1, 2015

Final version upload: October 10, 2015

Workshop date: October 21, 2015 (9am-12pm)

IR16 Conference dates: October 21-24, 2015

WORKSHOP STRUCTURE AT IR16

This is a half-day workshop that will take place on Wednesday, October
21st, starting at 9am. We aim for an interactive workshop format,
consisting of short presentations and interactive discussions. The
workshop will start with a short report from the first FAIL workshop,
which was held at Web Science Conference 2015 in Oxford in June 2015.

In the discussions we aim at collaboratively searching for alternative
solutions for the presented problems.

---------------------------------

OVERALL ORGANISATION

---------------------------------

We are planning to organize additional #FAIL! workshops at other
conferences in the future. In this way, we want to help to connect the
different communities engaged in studying social media.

Watch out the workshop website for updates on upcoming events.

ORGANISERS

Katrin Weller, GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, Germany
(@kwelle, (katrin.weller /at/ gesis.org) <mailto:(katrin.weller /at/ gesis.org)>)

Luca Rossi, IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark (@lr, (lucr /at/ itu.dk)
<mailto:(lucr /at/ itu.dk)>)

Karine Nahon, University of Washington and Interdisciplinary Center at
Herzliya ((karineb /at/ uw.edu) <mailto:(karineb /at/ uw.edu)>, @karineb)