Archive for December 2015

[ecrea] CfP Higher Communication Education, Pamplona 2016

Fri Dec 18 10:50:50 GMT 2015

Call for Abstracts:

HIGHER COMMUNICATION EDUCATION - SERVING OR INNOVATING THE PROFESSION?

May 19/20, 2016, Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain

www.ecreaeducation.wordpress.com

The Journalism & Communication Education TWG of ECREA invites abstracts
for its 2nd conference on communication programs in higher education.

The change in professional media markets has led to many challenges for
higher education programs: How can we educate students for a constantly
changing market that may not require the skills we are practically
teaching them today? How can we know what to teach them? Can we provide
answers through our research? It comes down to a question of identity:
Do we see ourselves as serving the profession, or the means to create
change through research and innovation? In other words: as both
scientists and educators, what is our mission in today’s changing
media environment?

Contributions may address the topic from many different angles, for
example:
- Do media educators see themselves (and/or are comfortable with)
"serving" the profession, i.e. "producing" well-functioning graduates
who get jobs and are good journalists, PR-professionals etc.? Or do they
want to be innovators and a vanguard/driving force of media
development?
- How did this develop historically and why?
- Are media educators and higher education institutions even equipped
to provide innovation – theoretically, methodologically, and in terms
of facilities, funds, and competencies?
- What can media education programs learn from other disciplines which
have traditionally been involved with both education and
research/innovation in their respective fields, for example pharmacy,
engineering, informatics... These disciplines have developed as research
and higher education providers along with their professions.
- Do we do our students a favor if we teach them to be media innovators
- instead of, for example, journalists and PR-professionals?
- How do students perceive innovation in the profession, and/or related
aspects of educations and research?
- What do media professions expect from our future graduates in terms
of media innovation?
- How well connected is innovation in our curricula to the demands of
the industry?
- Other perspectives on this topic are welcome!

The conference will feature three presentation formats:

● Traditional conference presentations:
For traditional conference presentations, please submit an abstract
(max. 500 words, not including references), presenting research results
and/or theoretical work relevant to the conference theme. Please outline
the state of the study or research project, the research question(s) or
hypotheses, findings and conclusion(s). In case of a theoretical
presentation, please outline your argument, describing the issue you are
tackling, the current state of research in this field and how your
approach provides something new. We also encourage submitting work in
progress, e.g. new theoretical or methodological ideas you want to
discuss with peers at the conference. However, research projects that
you want to present and that are not in the field yet (or only yield
preliminary results by the time of the conference) should be fully
developed and contribute to the theoretical and/or methodological
debate.

● Panel proposal:
Panels should consist of three to four presentations by differ
ent
authors/presenters, addressing a common topic from different
perspectives. Each panel should also name a chair who serves as a
moderator and may or may not be a presenter. Panels should aim for
length of 1 to 1 ½ hour, including discussions. Panel proposals should
include a description of the topic and overall goal of the panel,
addressing the relevance of the topic to the conference theme (400
words). The proposal should also include a short abstract of each of the
presentations (max. 200 words each).

● Conference workshop proposals: In addition to traditional panels,
we would like to invite proposals for workshop sessions. These sessions
could start with up to three short introductory talks (about 7 min.)
followed by a moderated discussion, but we also welcome alternative
workshop models. Sessions should deal with current practical,
methodological or theoretical challenges of media education and should
aim towards finding ways to meet these challenges. Proposals for
workshop sessions should include a clearly defined workshop topic and
goal, up to three presenters contributing, and a number of questions or
assignments for the discussion. Please submit a short workshop abstract
(max. 500 words) including short outlines of the individual
presenter’s topics.

True to this conference’s aim, traditional presentations as well as
workshops should seek to either include multiple educational fields (PR,
journalism, advertising…) or address applicability/relevance of their
topic for programs from different areas of communication education.

Deadline for abstract submission: Monday, February 21, 2016
Presenters will be informed by Tuesday, March 8, 2016
The conference will take place Thursday, May 19 and Friday, May 20,
2016

Please submit abstracts as anonymized Word- or pdf-documents to
[(michael.harnischmacher /at/ uni-passau.de)]. Please include your author
information (name, institution, contact) in the accompanying e-mail.

For questions, please contact

Dr. Michael Harnischmacher
University of Passau
Centre for Media and Communication
Mail: (michael.harnischmacher /at/ uni-passau.de)
Tel.: +49 851 509 -2933