Archive for December 2015

[ecrea] CFP: Fan Studies Network Conference 2016

Wed Dec 09 11:22:17 GMT 2015

THE FAN STUDIES NETWORK CONFERENCE 2016

25-26th June 2016

University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK

*Keynote Speaker: Professor Henry Jenkins (University of Southern
California, USA).*

The fourth annual Fan Studies Network Conference is returning to the
University of East Anglia for a two-day programme in June 2016. The
conference will continue FSN’s proud tradition of offering an
enthusiastic space for interdisciplinary researchers at all levels to
connect, share resources, and further develop their research ideas. In
addition to panel presentations, the two days will feature social
events, speed geeking, and workshop discussions.

We are delighted to welcome Professor Henry Jenkins as the keynote
speaker for FSN2016. Jenkins’ work has proved extremely influential in
the field: He is the author/editor of thirteen books on various aspects
of media and popular culture, including Convergence Culture: Where Old
and New Media Collide; Fans, Bloggers and Gamers: Exploring
Participatory Culture, and one of the key texts of the first wave of fan
studies, Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture.

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words for full papers that
address any aspect of fandom or fan studies. We also welcome collated
submissions for pre-constituted panels. We encourage new members, in all
stages of study, to the network and welcome proposals for presentations
on, but not limited to, the following possible topics:

– Pedagogy and Fandom

– Non-technological practices in fandom

– Fan conventions and offline spaces

– Fan history

– Fan labour

– Non-Western fan cultures

– Ethics and methodology in fan studies

– Interdisciplinary approaches to fan studies

– Anti-Fandom and Non-Fandom

– The future directions of fan studies

– The ‘dark side’ of fandom

We also invite expressions of interest (100-200 words) from anyone
wishing to present as part of a ‘speed geeking
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_geeking>’ session. This would
involve each speaker presenting a short discussion on a relevant topic
of their choosing to a number of small groups, and then receiving
instantaneous feedback, making it ideal for presenting in-progress or
undeveloped ideas. If you have any questions about this format of
presentation, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

*Please send any enquires/abstracts to: (fsnconference /at/ gmail.com) by
SUNDAY 28TH FEBRUARY 2016.*

**

*Please include up to three keywords for your submission and a short
biographical note.*

You can join the discussion about the event on Twitter using #FSN2016,
or visit http://www.fanstudies.org.

Conference Organisers:

Lucy Bennett and Tom Phillips (FSN chairs)

Bertha Chin, Bethan Jones, Richard McCulloch, Rebecca Williams (FSN board)