Archive for January 2015

[ecrea] cfp_Second International Conference on Media and Popular Culture

Sun Jan 11 12:08:41 GMT 2015

Centre for Research in Social sciences and Humanities

www.socialsciencesandhumanities.com

is inviting paper/panel proposals for

Second International Conference on Media and Popular culture to be held in

Vienna, Austria, 23-24.05.2015.

Conference venue: ***** Hotel Le Meridien Wien, Opernring 13, A-1010 Vienna, Austria (Room Happy Green)

RATIONALE

It is an unobjectionable fact that media participate in formation of our daily lives by creating identities, images, and by generally influencing our views. This applies not only to politics (i.e. political campaigns), but also to the formation on how we see ourselves and others. Popular culture, on the other hand, also affects our daily lives by fostering images and ideologies, and by selling way of life that is presented as acceptable or non-acceptable.

Sociological theories presented five models of audiences (hypodermic model, normative model, model of satisfying needs, interpretative model, structural interpretative model), and scholars still debate usability of each model due to the influence of media and popular culture over current issues.

These and other issues will be discussed at our conference.

Papers are invited (but not limited to) for the following panels:

Media and identity

Media and political campaigns

Media and discrimination

Women in the media

Objectivity of media

Media and democracy

Media and human rights

Popular culture

TV shows and identity

Film and identity

TV shows and everyday lives

Film and everyday lives

Media and memory

Media and history

History of media and popular culture

Media and diplomacy

Media and the Collapse of Eastern Europe

Audience studies

Media and the war in Yugoslavia

Media and religion

Media audience models

Media and Business

Prospective participants are also welcome to submit proposals for their own panels.

Submissions of abstracts (up to 500 words) with an email contact should be sent to Dr Martina Topic

((martina /at/ socialsciencesandhumanities.com)) by 10 May 2015.

The Centre established a peer review journal, and a working paper series. Conference papers will be considered.

We welcome paper proposals from scholars, NGO activists, Master and PhD students, and independent researchers.

Earlier decisions will be available when we collect enough papers for each panel.

Conference fee is EUR 290, and it includes

The registration fee

Conference bag and folder with materials

Conference publication

Access to the newsletter, and electronic editions of the Centre

Opportunity for participating in future activities of the Centre (research & co-editing volumes)

Discount towards participation fee for future conferences

Meals and drinks for both days of the conference

WLAN during the conference

Certificate of attendance

Centre for Research in Humanities and Social Sciences is a private institution founded in December 2013 in Croatia (EU).

We selected Austria as a place for hosting conferences due to Austria’s favourable geographic position, and liberal Visa regime for conference participants with EU Visa requirements.

Unfortunately, the Centre has no available funds for covering transport and accommodation in Austria. Participants are responsible for finding funding to cover transportation and accommodation costs during the whole period of the conference. This applies to both presenting and non-presenting participants.

The Centre will not discriminate based on the origin and/or methodological/paradigmatic approach of prospective conference participants.

The Centre is eligible for providing Visa letter for Austria to non-EU conference participants, and we are pleased to emphasise that all Visa applications in 2014 were successful.

__________________________________
Dr Martina Topic
Centre for Research in Social Sciences
and Humanities