[ecrea] Cfp: “Narratives of Peace and Conflict” (1-3 July 2015, Liverpool Hope University)

Fri Dec 05 06:58:03 GMT 2014

Archbishop Desmond Tutu Centre for War and Peace Studies
Annual Conference 2015

1 - 3 July 2015

“Narratives of Peace and Conflict”

KEYNOTE: Elizabeth Dauphinee, York University

CALL FOR PAPERS

Stories and narratives play a key role in contexts of peace and conflict. They give insights into the personal dimension of both conflict and peace, while offering a rich resource for peacebuilders. Conflict dynamics can be seen as replicated in the stories of victims and perpetrators on the one hand. On the other hand, the transformation of conflict dynamics through the use of narratives and stories has so far been under-explored. The potential of narratives is indeed manifold, ranging from the construction of media narratives to anthropological accounts of conflict, artwork and the acknowledgement that peace and conflict need to be understood through innovative sources, beyond ‘hard data.’ This conference aims to examine the origins and continuity of individual and collective narratives, and the challenges which are offered to them. A key theme will be the examination of the role of the stories, narratives and discourses in identity formation, historical understanding and media coverage. This will involve experts from a range of fields, and we welcome contributions from researchers in the areas of International Relations, Politics, Anthropology, Media and Peace Studies. Equally we would like to include experts whose primary fields might be in other disciplines. The conference is open to those from disciplines such as Geography, Sociology, Peace and Conflict Studies, Economics, Cultural Studies, History, Literature, Drama and Theatre, Theology, Religious Studies and Philosophy.

>From conference participants, we would hope that among the themes that could be considered are:

• Assessments of methodological approaches to the role of the narratives and stories in peace and conflict • Analysis of competing narratives in specific conflict situations past and present • Analysis of alternative stories which challenge or have challenged dominant narratives in specific conflict situations • Analysis of the media’s role in constructing narratives about peace and conflict • Analysis of poetry, film, media and the arts which have contributed to peace and conflict.
•    Storytelling of personal narratives of peace and conflict
• Analysis of the role that religious narratives play in conflict situations, on the one hand, and in peacebuilding, on the other • Analysis of literary accounts which depict making use of stories to resolve conflicts (especially but not limited to the works regarded as ‘classics,’ including the sacred scriptures of different religions) • Analysis of how stories about the past conflicts are used to help communities build a more peaceful future.

Keynote speaker:

Elizabeth Dauphinee; Associate Professor at York University, Canada, and editor of the Journal of Narrative Politics.

The conference is organised by the Archbishop Desmond Tutu Centre for War and Peace Studies at Liverpool Hope University. The venue will be the Capstone Theatre, Liverpool Hope University Creative Campus, Shaw Street, Liverpool, L6 1HP. Please submit abstracts for papers (word format) and posters of up to 300 words or full panel abstracts (4 papers max) to (tutu /at/ hope.ac.uk) until 1 February 2015. Successful applicants will be notified by 27 February 2015. We encourage contributions which are beyond formal conference papers and include performative ‘provocations’, demonstrations, workshops, storytelling events; or any other suitable format. Poster submissions of analysis of the above themes are welcomed. Presentation posters should be no larger than A1 paper size.

The organising team:
Dr Stefanie Kappler, (kapples /at/ hope.ac.uk)
Dr Terry Phillips, (phillim /at/ hope.ac.uk)
Dr Florian Zollmann, (zollmaf /at/ hope.ac.uk)
Dr Dominika Kurek-Chomycz, (kurekcd /at/ hope.ac.uk)
Susan Forde (12009897 /at/ hope.ac.uk)
Edd Corner
Candida Darling

http://tutu.hope.ac.uk/