[ecrea] Media@McGill international colloquium: "Sound, Vision, Action"

Tue Nov 11 01:59:37 GMT 2014

Please excuse the group mail but I am sending this to some of you who I thought it might be of interest or indeed for someone you know. I have been invited to participate as part of SOUND VISION ACTION 2014 taking place at McCord Museum in cooperation with McGill University in Montreal November 14-15. The event is open to the public and free of charge. This international colloquium has been convened by Prof. Jonathan Sterne (McGill), Prof. Nicholas Mirzoeff (New York University) and Dr. Tamar Tembeck (McGill) and 'puts contemporary art and scholarship in sound studies and visual culture in direct dialogue around questions of power and politics'. It is organised through Media@McGill, a hub of research, scholarship and public outreach on issues and controversies in media, technology and culture, housed within the Department of Art History and Communication Studies at McGill University. I will present on the research project, THE MARKET, which focuses on the functioning and condition of the global markets. Supported by the Arts Council of Ireland, this was undertaken in collaboration with Helen Carey, Curator and Director of Firestation Artist' Studios, the project was a central part of the visual art programme marking the centenary of the 1913 Dublin Lockout. It was installed at the Gallery of Photography, Dublin, Belfast Exposed, Limerick City Gallery of Art, CCA Derry-Londonderry and most recently at the Centre Culturel Irlandais in Paris (2014). The event will be live streamed with a publication to follow. Full details can be found here:http://www.soundvisionaction.cc
Hope some of you might be able to attend or indeed tune in.
Thanks and best,
Mark

October
22, 2014

Design by
Caitlin Loney.

Media@McGill

"Sound, Vision,
Action"

November 14–15, 2014

McCord Museum
 690 Sherbrooke Street West
 Montreal
(Quebec) Canada

 www.soundvisionaction.cc
 #SVA2014

   Share

Conveners:
 Jonathan Sterne (McGill University) and Nicholas Mirzoeff (NYU)

 Panels:
 Surveillance: Caren Kaplan, Karin
Bijsterveld
 Performance: Daphne Brooks, Amelia Jones
 Militancy:
Nathalie Casemajor, Ultra-red (Dont Rhine & Robert Sember)

Humanity: Negar Mottahedeh, Anette Hoffman
 Capitalism: Mark Curran,
Sumanth Gopinath
 Mediation: Natalie Bookchin, Georgina Born

 "Sound, Vision, Action" puts contemporary art and scholarship in
sound studies and visual culture in direct dialogue around questions of
power and politics.

 Today, we live in an age of
unprecedented visual and sonic saturation. Although philosophers, artists,
critics and censors have always argued for the power of sounds and images
and their attendant senses, the last half-century has seen a major shift in
how we talk about them, as scholars have systematically made the case for
understanding modern power relations in terms of seeing and hearing, sounds
and images. Where the last generation wrote in a context shaped by the
various political upheavals around 1968, our conceptions of power must make
sense of the various transformations and uprisings of the last decade,
associated with the processes of globalization. Where the post-1968 writers
conceived of looking and listening in a world filled with televisions,
movies, records and newspapers, we confront an unprecedented torrent of
images and sounds from all directions. Where they lived in a world where
images and sounds were produced in radically different contexts and with
radically different skill sets, we live in a world of convergence and
aesthetic cross-fertilization. Where they worried about access to the means
of media production, today we assume broad access to the means of
production, and must account for the blurring of boundaries between
production, circulation and consumption.

 Against the
background of new political, technical, mediatic and cultural realities,
"Sound, Vision, Action" interrogates the very meaning of our most saturated
senses, from live performances and face-to-face encounters, to shared
experience at a distance, to machinic practices to which users delegate
their senses. By bringing together interdisciplinary practices in visual
culture and sound studies, and situating them in relationship to fields
like science and technology studies, history, literature, music, art, and
media studies, "Sound, Vision, Action" examines the relationships between
diverse technologies and techniques that shape the torrent of images and
sounds that surround us, and the everyday practices of hearing and seeing
through which people engage with the world.

Media@McGill

 Information and livestream here.

 Media@McGill is
a hub of research, scholarship and public outreach on issues and
controversies in media, technology and culture, housed within the
Department of Art History and Communication Studies at McGill
University.

 Media@McGill colloquium partners: Social Sciences
and Humanities Research Council of Canada; McCord Museum; Dean of Arts
Development Fund, Canada Research Chair in Technology & Citizenship,
Department of Art History and Communication Studies Speaker Series, Centre
for the Study of Democratic Citizenship (CSDC), Institute for Gender,
Sexuality, and Feminist Studies (IGSF), James McGill Chair in Contemporary
Art History, James McGill Chair in Culture and Technology, Wolfe Chair in
Scientific and Technological Literacy, McGill University; Media History
Research Centre, Concordia University; The International Association for
Visual Culture (IAVC); NYU Steinhardt Department of Media, Culture, and
Communication.