[ecrea] New e-book on Pluralism, Inclusion and Citizenship

Thu Oct 16 15:15:19 GMT 2014

with the usual apologies for this shameless self promotion, I am pleased to inform you that the e-book I edited "Interdisciplinary Perspectives and Trajectories on Pluralism, Inclusion and Citizenship" (Inter-Disciplinary Press) is finally out, and can be downloaded here:

https://www.interdisciplinarypress.net/online-store/ebooks/diversity-and-recognition/interdisciplinary-perspectives-and-trajectories-on-pluralism-in

The plurality of cultures, voices, sounds and images has come to characterize every part of the world today, calling into question our capacity to deal with the dogma of difference in a world where borders and boundaries define our relationship with the Other. While human affairs now take place on a global scale, we see institutions and loyalties shifting away in rapid and often unpredictable ways, forcing us to decide whether we should live within fortified borders, or engage and exchange with hybrid and transnational identities.
In this scenario, the present collection of chapters will explore new conjunctures and trajectories on the idea of pluralism, and their social and political implications for identity, sociality, public recognition, and transnational forms of citizenship. Taking into account theoretical and practical perspectives, the approaches here considered will attempt to analyse the relationship between globalisation and the various issues of equality and difference as expressed in personal identifications, cultural roots and national diversities.

Table of Contents

Introduction: An Interdisciplinary Research Dialogue on Pluralism
Sara Marino

Part 1 Political and Racial Accommodations of Pluralism

The Persistence of Racial Identity: How Race Is Perceived by the ‘Born Free’ Generation of South Africa
Glynis Parker

Political Accommodation of Ethnic Pluralism in Cyprus: Asymmetric Federalism
Gülay Umaner Duba

Part 2 Power and Disempowerment in ‘Pluralistic’ Europe and USA

The Inclusion and Exclusion of Europe as a Discursive Strategy in Populist Political Rhetoric
Tuuli Lähdesmäki

Pluralism, Recognition and ‘Fusion of Horizons’
Navneet Kumar

Part 3 Redefining Pluralism through Education and Professional Formation

The Flexible Citizen: Education and Citizenship
James Moir

An Examination of Inclusive Action: Challenging the Professional Nursing Paradigm
Naomi Sharples

Part 4 Digital Pluralism in Diasporic Communities

Digital Media and British-Italian Diaspora: How Technology Helps Immigrant’s Integration Process
Sara Marino

Part 5 Final Notes on PIC9

Pluralism, Inclusion and Citizenship in the Context of Diversity and Recognition
S. Ram Vemuri