[ecrea] Publication: Intimacy in Cinema

Sun Sep 28 17:35:57 GMT 2014

We are pleased to announce the publication of Intimacy in Cinema. The book is made up of a selection of articles that were presented at the 2012 SERCIA conference at the Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, France.
Regards,
David Roche and Isabelle Schmitt-Pitiot

Roche, David and Isabelle Schmitt-Pitiot, eds. Intimacy in Cinema: Critical Essays on English Language Films. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2014. 244pp. 22 photos. Print ISBN 978-0-7864-7924-5 Ebook ISBN 978-1-4766-1711-4
http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-7924-5

Table of Contents

Acknowledgments v

“I feel different inside”: An Introduction to Intimacy in English Language Cinema, David Roche and Isabelle Schmitt-Pitiot 1

1 Touch and Gesture: On the Borders of Intimacy, Thomas Elsaesser 17

2 Exposing and Threatening Female Intimacy and Sexuality: How Traffic in Soulds (George Loane Tucker, 1913) Depicts the White Slave Trade in New York, Clémentine Tholas-Disset 34

3 Fictions of Intimacy and the Intimacy of Fiction: “Going into People’s Houses” and the Remediation of 1920s Film Reception, Fabrice Lyczba 46

4 The Impossible Sex Life of Couples in the Screwball Comedy, Grégoire Halbout 61

5 Intimacy Shared in Laughter and Tears: Brief Encounter (David Lean, 1945) and The Seven Year Itch(Billy Wilder, 1955), Raphaêlle Costa de Beauregard 73

6 The Intimate Gaze: (Deviant) Uses of the Subjective Camera in Lady in the Lake (Robert Montgomery, 1947) and La Femme défendue (Philippe Harel, 1997), Christophe Gelly 84

7 Shooting Stars and Poet Friends in my Bedroom: Domestic and Poetic Intimacy in Pull My Daisy (Robert Frank and Alfred Leslie, 1959), Céline Murillo 94

8 Public Confessions in American Revolution 2 (Howard Alk and Mike Gray, 1969), Zachary Baqué 105

9 The Limits of Hypermasculinity: Intimacy in American Science Fiction Films of the 1980s, Marianne Kac-Vergne 119

10 “I’ve Got You under My Skin”: No Exit from Insane Intimacy in Bug (William Friedkin, 2006), Christophe Chambost 133

11 Filming Fantasy, Imitating the Intimate in Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999), Yann Roblou 146

12 J. Edgar (Clint Eastwood, 2011): Staging Secrecy, Anne-Marie Paquet-Deyris 156

13 Intrusions of the Other: Intimacy in the Films of Atom Egoyan, Jean-François Baillon 165

14 Hidden Worlds and Unspoken Desires: Terence Davies and Autobiographical Discourse, Wendy Everett 179

15 “Extimacy” and Embodiment in Hunger (Steve McQueen, 2008) and Shame (McQueen, 2011), Isabelle Le Corff 192

16 Keira’s Kiss: The Affordance of “Kissability” in the Film Experience, Adriano D’Aloia 202

17 Melancholy, Empathy and Animated Bodies: Pixar vs. Mary and Max (Adam Elliot, 2009), Richard Neupert 215

Contributors

David Roche
Professor of Film Studies
Professeur d'études filmiques