[ecrea] cfchapters: Negotiating (In)Visibility: Managing Attention in the Digital Sphere

Sun Sep 21 07:21:15 GMT 2014

Subject: Negotiating (In)Visibility: Managing Attention in the Digital Sphere VIII International Conference on Communication and Reality, Barcelona, 4 – 5 June, 2015 Blanquerna School of Communication and International Relations, Ramon Llull University
http://cicr.blanquerna.edu/en/presentation/

Deadline for abstracts: 22 November, 2014.

Please pass this message on to your department and to colleagues who may be interested in our conference.

Dear Colleague,

We are pleased to announce that registration for your VIII International Conference on Communication and Reality, entitled Negotiating (In)Visibility: Managing Attention in the Digital Sphere is now in progress. The complete Call for Papers is posted in English, Spanish, and Catalan on our conference web site:

http://cicr.blanquerna.edu/en/presentation.

We invite you to submit individual abstracts and complete panel proposals, and to peruse further information posted there.

Media creation and media consumption have revolutionized the ways in which individuals and communities negotiate and manage visibility and attention in the digital mediascape. There are those who believe that this new context encourages open communication, transparency, learning, and human proximity. People who formerly could not make themselves heard or seen, or did not dare to, may now do so with no holds barred, unmediated by the traditional communication media.

Conversely, there are those who claim that the opinions and viewpoints that are given the greatest media exposure create the notorious spiral of silence by forging an erroneous belief in what is considered the majority opinion.

For our 2015 edition, themed Negotiating (In)Visibility: Managing Attention in the Digital Sphere, we welcome scholars, practitioners, and students to take sides in the controversy, shed new light on the on-going debate, and offer alternative, unorthodox, outside-the-box explorations of the issue, thus contributing to answering the question of whether the strategies and habits in which users of the digital public sphere currently perform attention-management ultimately leads to more visibility and plurality, or rather, more invisibility and uniformity.

We look forward to hearing from you and receiving your comments at (cicr /at/ blanquerna.url.edu).

Sincerely,

Klaus Zilles Ph.D.

Joan Cuenca Ph.D.

Facultat de Ciències de la Comunicació i Relacions Publiques Blanquerna

Universitat Ramon Llull

Valldonzella, 23

08001 Barcelona

tel: (34) 93 253 3108