[ecrea] CFP Deletion—Deviation: The Perversions of Science Fiction

Sun Aug 24 15:49:03 GMT 2014

Deletion—Deviation: The Perversions of Science Fiction

Call for Papers

Science Fiction exists in a state of tension between the pleasurable and the perverse — of the pleasure gained from its fictive forms, and the perversions of facts and flesh within its speculative futures, imagined worlds and creative appropriations of technological innovation.

There is an immutable thread that runs throughout science fiction, that which “distinguishes its fictional worlds to one degree or another from the world in which we live” (Roberts, 2000), worlds perhaps characterised by Darko Suvin’s ‘estrangement’ or Samuel Delaney’s ‘reading/writing effects.’ The ways in which this distinction is maintained traces the nebulous line between the pleasurable and perverse in science fiction. How does the pleasure of its fiction collide with the perversions of the ‘world in which we live’?

This symposium looks to the very edge of science fictional possibilities, at the many perversions and pleasures that can take place when pushing the boundaries of science fictional imaginings.

Possible topics for papers may include:

      Perversion(s) of science fact in science fiction

      Environmental perversions in science fiction

      Perversions of the body in science fiction

      Queer imaginings in SF

      Sex in SF

      Perverse pleasure in science fiction

      Trauma in SF

      Perverse greed in SF

      SF and psychosexuality(s)

      Acts of violence in SF texts

      Trans-humanism

      The perverse imagination and science fiction

      Perverse characters/perverse worlds

      Perversions of form in science fiction cinema

      The perverse “What If?”

Deletion—Deviation: The Perversions of Science Fiction will take place February 19th and 20th at Deakin University’s City Prime location, 3/550 Bourke St. Melbourne.

We invite contributions that address any of these areas around the deviant or perverse in of literature, film, gaming, art, and science and technology, and any other field with an investment in the deviant or perverse in science fiction.

This symposium will allow for a future edited collection on the open access online forum for science fiction studies Deletion (www.deletionscifi.org), aiming for publication in mid 2015.

We welcome abstracts of 300-350 words, along with a short biography, emailed to (grady.hancock /at/ deakin.edu.au) or (leon.marvell /at/ deakin.edu.au) by Friday October 31st. Notification of acceptance of articles will be by Friday November 18th.?