[ecrea] CFP: disability and television

Tue Aug 12 15:48:59 GMT 2014

Call for Papers: Disability and Television

Special Edition of Journal of Popular Television

Guest edited by Rebecca Mallett (Sheffield Hallam University) and Brett Mills (University of East Anglia)

Debates about disability - whether related to production and industry, content and representation, or audiences and consumption - have been largely ignored in the study of television, and this special edition of Journal of Popular Television aims to encourage the field to engage in this increasingly significant topic. We intend to provide a space to explore the contributions television studies and disability studies can make to one another, as areas of enquiry but also as fields engaged in the socio-political world.

We acknowledge the wide range of ways in which 'disability' has been defined and welcome submissions that engage with the complexity of the term and the uses to which it is put. Likewise we are interested in 'television' in its broadest sense, whether fictional or non-fictional, from docudramas and comedy to news and sports across all platforms.

We are keen for the edition to include as wide a range of voices, formats and approaches as possible, so while the 'traditional' academic article is welcomed, we also encourage other formats, such as personal reflections, treatises and manifestos or anything else that may be relevant and appropriate. Submission lengths may also be variable, so shorter and longer pieces are also invited.

We therefore invite expressions of interest from those interested in contributing to the special edition. This is due to be published in Autumn 2015, and submissions would be due 28 February 2015.

If you're interested in contributing please contact Rebecca Mallett ((r.mallett /at/ shu.ac.uk)) and Brett Mills ((brett.mills /at/ uea.ac.uk)) by 8th September 2014 with an outline of your intended contribution; formal abstracts are not necessary at this stage. If you'd like to talk through any initial ideas with either or both of us before this date, please feel free to get in touch.