[ecrea] New book: Kids on YouTube

Tue May 06 22:39:59 GMT 2014

Following others’ example, I’m announcing the publication of
my new book, Kids on YouTube: Technical Identities and Digital Literacies (Left
Coast Press, 2014). If you’d like to write a review let me know! The book
describes what kids learn (and what they don’t) when they hang out on the
‘Tube. Please feel free to pass along to interested colleagues!

Book description is here:https://www.lcoastpress.com/book.php?id=500

Henry Jenkins did a multi-part blog interview series with
me:
Part one:
http://henryjenkins.org/2014/03/kids-on-youtube-an-interview-with-patricia-lange-part-one.html
Part two:
http://henryjenkins.org/2014/03/kids-on-youtube-an-interview-with-patricia-lange-part-two.html
Part three:http://henryjenkins.org/2014/03/kids-on-youtube-an-interview-with-patricia-lange-part-three.html
Part four:
http://henryjenkins.org/2014/03/kids-on-youtube-an-interview-with-patricia-lange-part-four.html

Table of Contents
Chapter 1  Introduction: Ways With Video | 8
Chapter 2  Video-Mediated Friendships: specialization and Relational expertise | 32
Chapter 3  Girls
Geeking out on YouTube | 63
Chapter 4  Mediated
Civic engagement | 97
Chapter 5  Video-Mediated Lifestyles | 126
Chapter 6  Representational ideologies | 157
Chapter 7  On being
self-Taught | 189
Chapter 8  Conclusion
| 216
Appendix: Studying YouTube: An ethnographic Approach | 231

Best regards,

Patricia G. Lange
Assistant Professor
Critical Studies