[ecrea] Gender, Language and the Media

Tue Apr 15 21:09:15 GMT 2014

The British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL)

7th BAAL Gender and Language Special Interest Group Event (GaLSig)

‘Gender, Language and the Media’

Date: Wednesday 30th April 2014; 10.00am to 4.30pm

Place: Middlesex University, Media Department, The Burroughs, Hendon, London NW4 4BT.

Event programme

09.45 - 10.20: Registration and Coffee (Hatchcroft Building, 1st floor, Room H116)

10.20 - 10.30: Introduction: Jo Angouri (Chair of GaLsig and organiser) Sylvia Shaw                                (Treasurer of GaLsig and organiser)

10.30 - 11.10: Yasmin Alibhai-Brown (Middlesex University and weekly columnist for The                        Independent).

‘Where are we now? Have we travelled any distance?’

11.10 - 11.50: Judith Baxter (Aston University)

'Containing femininity: reading against sexualised constructions of leading women in the news media'.

11.50 - 12.30: Deborah Cameron (Oxford University) and Tamar Holoshitz (Yale Law
School)
‘News journalism, language and the representation of sexual violence in conflict settings’

12.30 - 14.00 Lunch in the Grove Atrium (GaLsig AGM in Grove G101 1-2pm – all
          welcome).

14.00 - 14.40 Georgina Turner (Loughborough University and the Guardian)

          ‘Women on the back pages: gender, language and sports journalism’.

14.40 - 15.20: Joanna Thornborrow (University of Western Brittany)

‘Media discourse and research practice: Where do we go with gender, representation and the social media?’.

15.20 - 16.00: Sara Mills (Sheffield Hallam University) on behalf of the Discourses of
                        Marriage research group.

‘Implicit homophobia and argument structure: equal marriage discourse in The Moral Maze’.

16.00 - 16.30: Tea/coffee; extended Q and A.
Location and directions to the Hendon campus:

http://www.mdx.ac.uk/aboutus/Location/hendon/index.aspx

Register through the links on the Gender and Language SiG website:http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/organisations/galsig/events.htm
<https://twitter.com/#!/shaw_sylvia>   Twitter: #galsig7
Facebook:www.facebook.com/BAALGenderLanguagesig<http://www.facebook.com/BAALGenderLanguagesig>