[ecrea] Media Work: the #rethinkmedia unconference

Tue Mar 18 16:35:51 GMT 2014

Colleagues and students are invited to attend and contribute to this free event in Birmingham on 25th March. Please circulate this amongst your students, past and present.

http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/media-work-the-rethinkmedia-unconference-tickets-10764507933

---

As #rethinkmedia (http://rethinkmedia.biz) gathers professionals and thought leaders in Birmingham to discuss the future of  media and creative industries, we gather as a group of upcoming media workers and practitioners to discuss the future of media work from our own perspective.

Large scale media industry conferences are useful markers in the progression of cultural production, and they provide totemic moments where futures are imagined. These futures are heavily structured by the speakers who hold the platform. Conference speakers are keen to imagine the audiences of the future and the ways in which they will be served. In creating this story they also imagine the creative workers of the future. These workers are normally described through the skills and competencies that are needed to realise a future that has been set by corporate and industrial objectives and imagination.

But what do you want from that future? This unconference provides a critical space for discussion of the future of media work from the perspective of you, from the perspective of the worker.

What jobs do you want industry to create for you?
What opportunities do you want made for you?
What do the projects you want to work on look like?
What is your expectation of the future audience and your relationship to it?
What are your feelings on issues of work / life balance?
What does your career path look like?
What does a city need to offer you to support your aspirations?

An unconference is an open event format bound by an over arhcing theme. Delegates are expected to make a contribution to an unplanned debate through offering provocations, presentations, stories and questions. The questions above are merely prompts to guide your thinking - if you would like to come and discuss other issues related to the future of media work then your contribution would be most welcome.

We hope that by the end of the day we can produce a simple charter of our aspirations as media workers, and offer this to industry leaders. This is a conversation, or rather the start of a conversation. Do join us.

Booking required:http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/media-work-the-rethinkmedia-unconference-tickets-10764507933