[ecrea] Global Event Congress Cultural Value Theme

Thu Mar 13 10:45:50 GMT 2014

Global Event Congress VI

Stream: The Cultural Value of Festivals and Events

As part of the Global Events Congress VI, to be held in Adelaide, South Australia 9 – 11 July 2014, we are seeking proposals for papers and panels for a one day stream on cultural value as it pertains to festivals and cultural events.

Topics will include

· Definitions of culture and cultural value,

· Methods and Measures of culture value and current assessment techniques

· How ‘cultural’ components of cultural value operate alongside more traditional economic data

· As well as the theory of cultural value or worth itself.

The Global Events Congress VI is a significant international meeting for event and experience design, management and marketing academics, researchers and practitioners.

The conference will take place in Adelaide, South Australia and will include workshops for academics and events practitioners, and opportunities for wine tasting at the conference dinner and in social events.

Day 3 of the conference (Friday 11 July 2014) is dedicated to considering the Cultural Value of Festivals and Events. Two keynote speakers will address these themes. Douglas Gautier, Artistic Director and CEO of the Adelaide Festival Centre, will talk about “The Value of a Festival” and Professor Julian Meyrick will present his developing theory of “Total Cultural Value.”

We call for papers for this stream of the Global Events Congress VI. We are looking for papers that address the cultural value of festivals and events broadly and will program a day of discussions about where the cultural value debate is up to. A publication in the form of a special issue of a journal has been negotiated for our stream of cultural value with the International Journal of Event and Festival Management and this will be negotiated with participants at a later stage.