[ecrea] Call For Papers - 3D Creative Summit

Sat Feb 08 07:35:22 GMT 2014

Call for Papers - Deadline Monday 17th February

Stereoscopic 3D: A Creative Summit on Connecting With Audiences
Wednesday 12th and Thursday 13th March 2013, The British Film Institute,
South Bank, London, United Kingdom: http://www.bfi.org.uk

Conference Website
http://www.3dcreativesummit.com/

Latest News
http://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2014/01/3d-creative-summit-2014/

Ravensbourne (www.rave.ac.uk) and the i3DS Society
(http://tinyurl.com/crfcmbq), have great pleasure in calling for papers for the
fourth annual international Creative Summit. The conference includes a
research strand that will offer an opportunity for academia and industry to
critically examine stereoscopic media in the field of film, television, and other
content that may inform the field.

Sergei Eisenstein believed that connecting with audiences was at the heart of filmmaking or, as he put it, understanding how to “’throw a bridge’ across the gulf separating the spectator and the actor” (Mendiburu et al, 2012). A number
of notable recent films explore how stereoscopic 3D might enhance this
connection. Ang Lee’s Life of Pi explores how to use 3D to create a greater
feeling of presence for the viewer; we are invited to ‘be’ Pi. In Gravity the
viewer is encouraged to experience the grandeur of space and offered an
overload of technical information in order to understand the immediate and
often terrifying choices facing astronauts in their not-so-everyday working
lives. Television spectaculars such as the Doctor Who anniversary, and more
short-form independent 3D content for Internet distribution are also
contributing to our understanding of how to create the bridges Eisenstein felt
were so essential.

We therefore call for presentations from either practice-based or theoretical perspectives on the following themes, but welcome contributions that inform how the use of the third dimension assists us to connect with audiences:

• How are writers inviting audiences to become immersed in story or the
mise-en-scène?

• What cinematographic techniques are being pioneered to draw us into
the frame?

• Can pre-visualisation tools amplify what immersive experiences we can
construct?

• Are we now developing an aesthetic that is particular to stereoscopic
media?

• Does the convergence of film and gaming offer opportunities to draw
the audience more effectively into augmented gaming worlds?

We will be accepting papers or presentations on the topics above
that will be part of the main conference proceedings on the afternoon of the
first day. Abstracts should be sent in the form of 500 word abstracts to the
selection committee via (lizzie.jackson /at/ rave.ac.uk) by Monday 17th February
2014. When submitting your abstracts, please also state your name,
affiliation, and provide a one-paragraph biography.

Accepted papers/presentations will receive a conference fee waiver.

We hope to see you there.

Best,

Lizzie

--