Archive for November 2014

[ecrea] Teaching Media CFP on Work and Media

Tue Nov 11 10:54:35 GMT 2014

DEADLINE
EXTENDED

"Work
and Media" in Teaching
Media
Quarterly
3(1):
Fall 2014

http://www.teachingmedia.org/call-for-proposals/

Call
for Proposals:
 Extended
Deadline Nov. 14, 2014

The
subject of work is often overlooked in the teaching of media literacy.
However, representations of work are abundant and significant for how
we understand the middle classes, the working class, and the working
poor. Work also shapes how we rationalize and explain political and
economic ideas and lived experiences. Television shows such as The
Office,
Parks
and Recreation,
The
Fall,
The
Killing,
reality TV such as Undercover
Boss
and Border
Wars,
and films such as Elysium,
Alien,
The
Wrestler,
and
The
Hunger Games
deal with the opportunities for work, the jobs people do, how they do
them, and how that work is monitored and mediated. They also construct
social meaning about the people who do particular jobs. Documentary
films on the evolution of women’s labor, migrant labor, and even public
relations all point to work as an important area to be interrogated and
brought into the teaching of media literacy. Importantly, work always
intersects with gender, class, race, and sexuality, and has larger
political and economic implications.

Teaching
Media Quarterly seeks
materials to be used in the classroom that critically investigate the
intersection of work and media. Work
is defined broadly here. It includes the actual variety of jobs people
do and their workplaces. It relates to questions of labor unions, and
also to questions of waged and unwaged labor. Work intersects with
class, race, gender, sexuality, and place. Work is engendered in the
production of media, and we engage in emotional labor when we interact
with media.
Particularly, we are interested in lessons that address the following:

    *

      How
      do questions of race, class, gender, sexuality, place, and national
      identity emerge in media narratives about work?
    *

      What
      is the relationship between work and economic and social inequality?
    *

      How
      do representations of work in media operate as a struggle over
      competing cultural values, as well as political, economic, and media
      imperatives?
    *

      What
are the sites of immaterial labor and hidden labor? How do they impact
      our understanding of the economy?
    *

      What
is the relationship between labor unions, workers’ struggles for better
      working conditions, and media conglomerates?
    *

      How
      does work become a mediated site at which “good citizenship” is
      constructed and cultivated?
    *

      What
kinds of political economy and environmentalist questions are important
      to ask when approaching work and media?

Teaching
Media Quarterly Submission
Guidelines & Review Policy

Teaching
Media Quarterly seeks innovative assignments and lessons that can be
used to critically engage with the topic of work for use in
undergraduate classrooms. All submissions must include: 1) a title, 2)
an overview and comprehensive rationale (using accessible language
explain the purpose of the assignment(s) and define key terms) (250-500
words), 3) a general timeline, 4) a detailed lesson plan and assignment
instructions, 5) teaching materials (handouts, rubrics, discussion
prompts, viewing guides, etc.), 6) a full bibliography of readings,
links, and/or media examples, and 7) a short biography (100-150 words).

Please
email all submissions in ONE Microsoft Word document to

(teachingmedia.contact /at/ gmail.com).

SUBMISSION
DEADLINE: November 14, 2014

Submissions
will be reviewed by each member of the editorial board. Editors will
make acceptance decisions based on their vision for the issue and an
assessment of contributions. It is the goal of Teaching Media Quarterly
to notify submitters of the editors' decisions within two weeks of
submission receipt.

Teaching
Media Quarterly is dedicated to circulating practical and timely
approaches to media concepts and topics from a variety of disciplinary
and methodological perspectives. Our goal is to promote collaborative
exchange of undergraduate teaching resources between media educators at
higher education institutions. As we hope for continuing discussions
and exchange as well as contributions to Teaching Media Quarterly we
encourage you to visit our website at
http://www.teachingmedia.org/

Best,

Teaching