Archive for February 2012

[ecrea] CFP - Spaces of (Dis)location

Wed Feb 08 17:53:11 GMT 2012

/*Spaces of (Dis)location: Call for Papers
*
/The College of Arts, University of Glasgow, is excited to announce * Spaces of (Dis)location*, a two-day multidisciplinary postgraduate conference taking place on 24th – 25th May 2012.

As national and cultural boundaries are blurred in our increasingly global society, the ideas of space and location – whether physical or metaphysical, real or imaginary – are evolving. This notion provides the stimulus for a conference that we hope will inspire creativity and debate across many subjects in the arts and humanities.

A major aim of this conference is to foster networks and connections across different institutions and subjects. It is also our intention to publish an edited volume with articles from this conference through the University of Glasgow’s international postgraduate research journal eSharp.

Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:

   * Ideas of space: physical and imaginary
   * Spatial dichotomies (urban/rural, public/private)
   * Globalization
   * Localism
   * Cultural and natural spaces
   * Adaptation (literary, linguistic, cinematic, etc.)
   * Cultural diaspora
   * Immigration
   * Spaces of performance
   * The space of the body

We welcome submissions of abstracts for papers in the classic 20-minute format, but are also keen to accept different presentation formats. There will be a poster session and a Pecha Kucha session on each day of the conference and we would welcome your submissions in these formats too.

A Pecha Kucha presentation consists of 20 slides, each shown for exactly 20 seconds, so the entire presentation will therefore last 6 minutes and 40 seconds. It is an engaging and challenging format for researchers at every stage of their career, but provides a particularly creative format for those just starting their research to receive feedback on their project design and initial findings.

The poster sessions will take place during conference coffee breaks. Presenters will have the opportunity to briefly introduce their poster and then the posters will all be on display during the break. The poster session will offer a space for presenters to introduce their research to other participants and, like the Pecha Kucha format, is particularly helpful to those just starting their research.

In addition to the poster and Pecha Kucha formats, we will also accept proposals for short performance pieces or films that reflect the themes of the conference. If you wish to submit such a proposal, please also provide us with any technical specifications that your piece will require.

Please submit abstracts or proposals of no more than 250 words as e-mail attachments to: (arts-pgconference /at/ glasgow.ac.uk). Please include a 50 word biography and specify which presentation format you would like to use.

*Deadline for submissions is Friday 9th March 2012.
*
More information regarding the conference (including information on accommodation and transportation) can be found on the conference’s Wordpress page: http://spacesofdislocation.wordpress.com/