Archive for January 2012

[ecrea] Call For Papers: Conference at University of Westminster, 'After Phone-Hacking, What Next?'

Sat Jan 21 23:11:08 GMT 2012

CALL FOR PAPERS

After phone hacking, what next?

Date: 29 and 30 May 2012 Venue: University of Westminster, 309 Regent Street, London, W1B 2UW

The Fourth Annual Conference of the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University Westminster in association with the British Journalism Review.

Earlier conferences examined the economic problems facing journalism and then possible solutions. Last year we looked at questions of quality.

This years’ conference is about journalistic standards, ethics and practices. In the light of the phone hacking scandal at News International and the ongoing Leveson inquiry, we ask: After phone-hacking, what next?

Though it is prompted by the current crisis in British journalism the conference is not intended to be confined just to British difficulties or indeed British solutions, but to conduct the widest possible international examination of the issues. Equally, we wish to concentrate not only on the press but on all news media. We are interested in the purposes of journalism in the twenty-first century; in how journalists go about their work; in the rules, statutory, informal, professional and cultural, which govern what is published and how information is obtained.

We welcome a variety of approaches, and topics, which might include, but are not confined to the following:

 What is permissible in pursuit of a story? Are illegal means ever justified?
 If so, in what circumstances?
 Statutory or self-regulation?
 Journalistic cultures
 Professional standards
 Conflicting Rights – the Right to Know and the Right to Privacy
 Public interest? Or of interest to the public?

PROGRAMME AND REGISTRATION
This day and a half conference will take place on Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 May 2012. The fee for registration will be £195 with a concessionary rate of £99 for students, to cover all conference documentation, refreshments and administration costs. Registration will open in February 2012.

DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS
The deadline for abstracts is Friday 10 February 2012. Successful applicants will be notified by Monday 20 February 2012. Abstracts should be 250 words long. They must include the presenter's name, affiliation, email and postal address, together with the title of the paper.

Please send abstracts to Helen Cohen at (journalism /at/ westminster.ac.uk)