Archive for January 2012

[ecrea] 15th Annual Cassola Conference on Teaching Communication

Fri Jan 13 23:56:10 GMT 2012

15th Annual Cassola Conference on Teaching Communication

*15th Annual Cassola Conference on Teaching Communication *

*Friday, April 13, 2012
Johnson and Wales University, Providence, RI*

*The Economies of Communication
Submission deadline: January 20, 2012*

**

As educators, we must consider how best to communicate =93the economic=94 t=
our students =96 a task made all the more pertinent given the economic
pressures now levied against the educational system itself ---both K-12 and
higher ed. As economic times continue to worsen, educators must struggle to
determine how we can add --or even just maintain--the value of the
education students receive in our classrooms.

Indeed, much like communications, economies require connections,
transactions and the balancing of power; as such, they force us to consider
what we truly value. Our keynote speaker this year is Raj Patel, whose
recent book, *The Value of Nothing: How to Reshape Market Society and
Redefine Democracy*, asks readers to reconsider the paradigm of the free
market and the values it embodies. In the same way, the conference sessions
will allow us to examine what we truly value as we teach our students to
become better communicators.

Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:

=B7         Advocating for change

=B7         Communication as transaction

=B7         Tallying interpersonal and non-verbal communication issues

=B7         Added Value-Communication in the ESL classroom

=B7         Media-ting the Economic Crisis

=B7         Economic Rhetoric

=B7         Economical communication (less is more)

=B7         Social costs, social benefits

=B7         Communication as a career path

=B7         Communication and careers

=B7         Communication and the free market

=B7         Communicating and contracts

=B7         Communicating the Economic Crisis

=B7         The  worth of composition/rhetoric programs

=B7         Communicating globally

* *

*Session Formats (choose one):*

*Presentations (60-minute sessions before lunch)*

=B7         Individual or collaborative

=B7         Extemporaneous (e.g., panel, demonstration, lecture, etc.),
manuscript (reading a paper), or workshop

*Spotlight Sessions (20-minute sessions after lunch. The presenter will
offer the same session three times from 1:30 to 3 p.m. with 10 minute
breaks in between each session) that focus on: *

=B7         A teaching idea or
strategy

=B7         Current research

 *Proposals Should Include:*

   - 100-word presentation proposal that includes: name(s), institutional
   affiliation, contact information (including e-mail), target audience
   (college or secondary), and equipment needed;

   - 45-word abstract (to be published in program) that indicates the type
   of presentation format (e.g. manuscript, workshop, panel, demonstration,
   lecture, spotlight session, etc.), content, and session title;
   - Paragraph describing relevant education and experience, including
   dates and institutions.

* *

*Please submit electronically in Word format by January 20, 2012 to:*

Eileen Medeiros (atemedeiros /at/ jwu.edu)

Phone: 401/598-1474                            Fax: 401/598-1762