Archive for January 2012

[ecrea] Games+Learning+Society submissions due January 31

Tue Jan 10 17:36:41 GMT 2012

*Call for Papers*

*Games+Learning+Society Conference 8.0
**http://glsconference.org* <http://glsconference.org/>*
June 13-15, 2012 *

*Madison, WI*

The University of Wisconsin–Madison is excited to announce the Games+Learning+Society (GLS) Conference 8.0 to be held June 13-15, 2012, with preconference activities on June 12 including the GLS Educators Symposium and the inaugural year of the GLS Doctoral Consortium at the Memorial Union on campus.

The GLS Conference is the premier event in the field of videogames and learning. Now in its eighth year, this grassroots “indie” event is evolving to include more innovative content formats and new programming. The GLS conference is one of the few destinations where the people who create high-quality digital learning media can gather for serious discussion about what is happening in the field and how the field can serve the public interest. Our event is well known for its exceptionally high quality of content yet “community event” feel. Each year, we foster in-depth conversation and social networking across diverse disciplines including game studies, education research, learning sciences, industry, government, educational practice, media design, and business. Our continued commitment is to reinvent learning both in and out of formal school environments through the promise of games and simulations.

Conference highlights include: keynotes by leaders in both academics and industry; interactive workshops on game research and game design; both individual and symposia presentation sessions; big debates about critical aspects of gaming and game design; hands‐on game play in the arcade; the “hall of failure”; a massively multi-player evening poster session over cocktails & hors d’oeuvres; fireside chats that enable cozy conversations among VIP speakers and attendees; and the GLS Games and Art Exhibition. A new session type offered this year will be the Educational Game Arcade, which will offer a space for conference attendees to play the games created by members of our community.

Confirmed Speakers include: Colleen Macklin, Reed Stevens, and Sebastian Deterding.

We offer a variety of session formats, encouraging submissions from traditional paper presentations to innovative formats focusing on game play. All submissions are due online by January 31, 2012. Complete submission guidelines can be found on the submissions site at http://glsconference.org <http://glsconference.org/> as well as more information about the GLS Educators Symposium and the GLS Doctoral Consortium.