[ecrea] CfP: Communication Disruptions - European Perspectives on Global Challenges

Fri Jan 14 19:28:43 GMT 2011

Dear colleagues:

Very best wishes for 2011 ­ and our sincere wish that many of you wwill
submit a paper proposal for our next European Sociological Association
conference in Geneva. Please take into account the following schedule:

* 10th January 2011 Opening of the Abstract submission platform at
www.esa10thconference.com
* 25th February 2011 Closing date for abstract submission
* 6th April 2011 Decisions on acceptance of abstracts by RN coordinators and
RS conveners relayed to paper-givers and Conference Organizer in Geneva
notified of abstracts that have been accepted. The latter should take the form
of a list of names of presenters and paper titles to the Conference Organizer
in Geneva
* 20th April 2011 Programme of papers for each session sent by RN Coordinators
and RS conveners to the LOC- Geneva

ESA 2011 - Call for Paper Submission for Research Network 18

Communication Disruptions - European Perspectives on Global Challenges

Long-term social developments, whether turbulent or not, necessitate personal,
mass and network media transformations. Information and communication
technologies and media contents, as well as changes in the ownership and
control of media organization and in the reception  and use of their outputs,
require close observations and sound diagnoses.
Media studies in Europe have attempted to tackle these factors and processes
in recent decades. The globalization of communications and the enlargement of
the European Union have forced European media researchers continuously to
broaden their horizons and reassess their
approaches. Our next Research Network 18 meeting is especially concerned with
these changes.
Abstracts are invited for papers to be given at the next meeting of the
Network on the 7th to 10th September 2011 that will take place in Geneva
during the main ESA Conference. Papers are particularly invited where they
address the general theme of the Conference.
The first criterion for the selection will be excellence of research and
general interest to network and ESA members. We also encourage critical and
interdisciplinary approaches aiming to create a dialogue between a broad
diversity of social scientific and media and cultural studies methods and
theories.
Presentations will be no more than 20 minutes, though fuller papers will be
required for circulation. Work in progress is welcome.
Abstracts, which should be no more than 200 words and include full contact
details for the author(s), should be submitted at www.esa10thconference.com

We welcome papers with a historical or comparative perspective, allowing for
identifying European perspectives on global challenges.
We are grateful that we can offer two joint concluding sessions with  two of
the other most pertinent research networks, namely on the sociology of culture
and on social theory.

Specific Session title I: Political Economy of Media Dynamics
Specific Session title II: Media Continuities and Discontinuities
Specific Session title III: Divided Europe ­ Antagonistic Media Narrratives
Specific Session title IV: The Web versus the Rest: Media Hegemonies
Specific Session title V: Globalizing Europe: Threats to National and European
Media Autonomies
Specific Session title VI: (Di-) Visions of Europe
Specific Session title VII: Digital Cultures (with RN 7 â??Sociology of Cultureâ??)
Specific Session title VIII: Social theory and mass communication (with RN 29
â??Social Theoryâ??)

Kind regards / Mit freundlichem GruÃ?
Peter
Dr. Peter Ludes, Ph.D. (USA)
Professor of Mass Communication
Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany
Phone: +49-421-200 3476, Fax: +49-421-2003303
https://www.jacobs-university.de/directory/pludes

http://www.keyvisuals.org
http://www.nachrichtenaufklaerung.de