Archive for March 2011

[ecrea] CFP: Local Production, Global Consumption. AAA - Montreal 4/6; 11/16-20

Mon Mar 28 08:40:50 GMT 2011

We are very interested in including a media ethnography on our panel at the American Anthropological Association.
Thank you,
Pilar Rau
Call For Papers - AAA Annual Meeting
November 16-20, 2011
Montreal, QC, Canada - http://www.aaanet.org/meetings/

Local Production, Global Consumption

During periods of globalization –both contemporary and ancient –distant communities are knit together by systems of long-distance exchange. We are interested in ethnographies and archaeologies of the local in which producers, middlemen, and consumers engage with the global. Our focus on practice seeks to better understand the processes by which local practitioners are exploited by –or exploit –the foreign markets with which they articulate.

This panel seeks investigations that confront, complicate, and contextualize dominant narratives of globalization, deterministic explanations of social and technological change, and notions of local authenticity. Questions to be addressed may include: How are local production practices renegotiated in the face of foreign markets and technological change? How are social relations used in the recruitment of labor and organization of production for export? What identities, communities, and social relations are constituted by practices of production and long-distance exchange?

We invite submissions that innovatively study the people and places that comprise long-distance exchange networks. We are interested in examples from a variety of geographical contexts and time periods. Papers may address the people and places of production (e.g. households, workshops, sweatshops, film studios, work feasts, fair-trade cooperatives), circulation (e.g. truck stops, caravanserai, server farms, warehouses, ports), and exchange (e.g. markets, art galleries, sites of e-commerce, etc.).

Please submit the following information to Matthew Spigelman ((mds422 /at/ nyu.edu)) or Pilar Rau ((pkr205 /at/ nyu.edu)) by Wednesday, April 6, 2011 for consideration:

* Name
* Institutional affiliation
* Paper title
* 250-word abstract