Archive for February 2011

[ecrea] 4S session CFP: public engagement with science

Fri Feb 25 18:46:36 GMT 2011

~~ Call for papers for a session on public engagement with science at
the 4S Annual Meeting, November 2-5, 2011, Cleveland, OH ~~

?Problematizing public engagement with science?

Deadline for submitting abstracts: March 10, 2011

The discourse of public engagement with science is a prominent topic
in the STS literature. Dissatisfied with conventional science
education and media dissemination methods, scholars and practitioners
explore alternative ways of public engagement, such as the use of
digital media, scientists? participation in school classrooms, and
placements of members of the public on advisory boards of policy-
making and funding institutions. Where are we with public engagement
now? Are we as scholars and practitioners on the right track?

In this session, we aim to bring together researchers who are
interested in investigating and problematizing ways the public is
engaged with science. We would like to stimulate a discussion that
draws on philosophy, methodology, and practice by seeking answers to
questions such as: What methods can aid us in understanding and
critical analyses of existing and prospective means of public
engagement? How can researchers investigate the effectiveness,
inclusivity, and underlying agendas of the means of engaging the
publics? Are we as researchers missing any perspectives, methods, or
tools that can facilitate better understanding and successful
implementations?

Ways to contribute to this discussion may include papers that provide
insight and raise questions regarding any of the following:

? Concepts and social agendas ­ What roles should various stakeholders
(e.g., scientists, government, publics) play? What ethical and moral
issues are involved? How do the core concepts, such as science,
communication, and publics, influence our understanding of public
engagement?
? Theories and methodologies ­ Methods, assessments, and perspectives
that hold promise for investigating issues around public engagement
with science and science discourse.
? Tools and rules ­ Existing means for promoting public engagement in
science. What are the strengths and limitations of these means? What
can be learned from reports of success or failure of existing
initiatives of promoting public engagement with science?

We aim to organize at least one session submission for the 4S
conference on the topic of problematizing public engagement with
science. If we have sufficient number of co-presenters, we will submit
complementary sessions themed accordingly to the submissions received.

Deadline for submitting abstracts: March 10, 2011
Please submit abstracts (250 words) to: Inna Kouper at
(inkouper /at/ indiana.edu)
Session co-organizers: Lai Ma, Inna Kouper, & Thomas Fennewald
(Indiana University)