Archive for February 2011

[ecrea] MiW Symposium: Psychoanalysis and Popular Culture - Sat 26th Feb 2011

Tue Feb 01 21:09:21 GMT 2011

Dear Colleagues

We are delighted to send you our initial invitation to a day symposium on 'Psychoanalysis and Popular Culture' to mark the end of the current grant period of our AHRC funded research network, Media and the Inner World. This will be held on the 5th Floor at the Tavistock Centre near Swiss Cottage tube station in London on Saturday 26th February 2011 from 10-6pm.

Confirmed Panels and Speakers:

Media, Emotion & Sport

Michael Brearley
Former England cricket captain;
former President of the Institute of Psychoanalysis

Krishnan Guru-Murthy (tbc)
(C4 presenter and broadcaster)

Helen Powell (Chair)
Senior Lecturer in Media and Advertising
UEL

Media Love

John Storey
Professor of Cultural Studies, University of Sunderland

Carol Leader
Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist

John Adlam
Group Therapist

Brett Kahr
Hon Prof Media and the Inner World
Roehampton

Media, Emotion & Social Unrest

Jeremy Gilbert
Reader in Cultural Studies, UEL
Writer; Activist

Suzanne Moore
Columnist, The Guardian and
The Mail on Sunday

Chris Scanlon
Group Analyst

Michael Rustin
Professor of Sociology, UEL
Visiting Professor, Tavistock Clinic

Media and the Inner
World:
Reflections and Future Directions

Candida Yates
Senior Lecturer in Psychosocial Studies, UEL
Director, MiW

Caroline Bainbridge
Reader in Visual Culture, Roehampton University
Director, MiW

Details of exact timings and a drinks reception will be circulated next week. We anticipate that this event will be oversubscribed and for catering purposes, we need confirmation of attendance. To book your free place, please email (miwevents /at/ googlemail.com), giving your name and occupation, which we are required to monitor by our funding body. Places are limited and will be allocated on a strictly first come, first served basis.

We look forward to seeing you there if you can join us. All welcome.

Best wishes

Caroline

Dr Caroline Bainbridge
Reader in Visual Culture
Research Student Coordinator
Programme Convener MA Media &Cultural Studies
Director, Media and the Inner World AHRC Research Network
www.miwnet.org

Department of Media, Culture & Language
Southlands College
Roehampton University