Archive for December 2009

[ecrea] MeCCSA Climate Change Network

Fri Dec 18 13:27:55 GMT 2009

ECREA members may be interested in the formation of a MeCCSA Climate Change Network in the UK. Please see below email for details.

With apologies for cross posting.

All the best,
Einar

Dear MeCCSA members,

I am delighted to inform you that the MeCCSA Executive Committee has approv=
ed the formation of a MeCCSA Climate Change, Environment and Sustainability=
 Network based on a proposal submitted by interested parties in November.

The first meeting of the climate change network will take place at 14:15 on=
 8th January, at the Annual MeCCSA Conference hosted by the LSE. We will us=
e this meeting to discuss future activities and events, and how we can make=
 the most out of this network outside of organised events.

The aim of the network is to strengthen the ability of MeCCSA and its membe=
rs to respond to and lead the worldwide academic contribution to understand=
ing media, communication and cultural studies where they meet issues of cli=
mate change, environment and sustainable development; it will do this by co=
ntinually encouraging MeCCSA and its members to conduct research and seek i=
nterventions that account for sustainability in its impact. The network wil=
l focus on strengthening MeCCSA through:

- Aligned and complementary activity to the existing MeCCSA networks and th=
e practice section
- Engagement with policy-makers, civil society and practitioners
- Filtering and prioritising the urgency of the requirement to respond to c=
hanges in environmental, sustainable development and scientific knowledge
- Maintaining and growing a strand at the main MeCCSA conference and events=
 beyond
- Producing world leading research under the MeCCSA umbrella
- Developing a directory of researchers to facilitate collaboration and lea=
rning across disciplines

For further information about the rationale, proposed key themes and timeta=
ble, please visit the network website:
http://www.meccsa.org.uk/climate-change-network

The most recent edition of the MeCCSA newsletter, Three-D, also contained t=
hree feature articles on the subject written by Peter Brooks, Neil T. Gavin=
 and Alex Lockwood, which you can download at http://www.meccsa.org.uk/news=
letter

We are currently compiling a list of people interested in taking part in th=
e network or simply wanting to be added to our mailinglist. To register you=
r interest, please contact Alex Lockwood ((alex.lockwood /at/ sunderland.ac.uk)) o=
r Einar Thorsen ((ethorsen /at/ bournemouth.ac.uk)).

All the best,
Einar