Archive for December 2008

[ecrea] Fwd: Digital Culture 2009

Fri Dec 05 12:40:23 GMT 2008

2nd Digital Cultures Workshop: Social Media Publics

4-5 June, 2009
University of Salford, U.K.

Call for Papers

Organizers
Ben Light and Marie Griffiths, University of Salford.
Sian Lincoln, Liverpool John Moores University
Steve Sawyer, Syracuse University.

Confirmed Speakers
Dr. Carsten Sørensen
Information Systems and Innovation Group, Department of Management, London
School of Economics

Dr. Theresa Senft
School of Social Sciences, Media and Cultural Studies, University of East
London

It is clear that the boundaries between the ?public¹ and the ?private¹ are
becoming increasingly blurred within and amongst sites of home and work.
Indeed, in the wake of reality television shows, national identity card
schemes, increased social media usage and the like, publicity appears to be
the order of the day.  For this workshop we seek papers that discuss the
issues raised for those living in environments where there is seemingly
little room for privacy.  As was the case last year, we intend for the
workshop to be multi-disciplinary in nature, broad in the approaches
participants take and issues they cover. If your work is about any aspect of
digital culture, this is the workshop for you! The following are thus only
indicative of potential topics that could be raised:

·How do people domesticate social media in their attempts to maintain a
balance in publicity and privacy? Do they? Why do they, or don¹t they?
·What matters are raised by increased access to data about individuals and
organizations?
·What does the blurring of boundaries between public and private mean for
our knowledge and experiences of gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity and
disability?
·How are ICT mediated spaces created and maintained at home, work and those
spaces in between?  For example, how are ?geek gamers¹ finding spaces to
play now the only console in the house can be in the living room?
·How are ICT policies shaping public and private spaces throughout societies
around the world?
·What privacy issues are presented by media convergence?
·What role are mobile and ubiquitous computing technologies playing in
public and private spaces?
·How is the increased commodification of social media affecting our privacy?

Following from the first workshop we continue to see this workshop having
three purposes. First, we seek to give voice and structure to existing new
media, ICT and technology related research which may not readily sit within
conventionally accepted areas. Second, we wish to draw in research on new
forms of digital technology, ICT, computing, organizing and social
interactions. Third, we want to continue discussions regarding potential
futures for ICT related research which combine research as related to the
evolving forms and functions of work organizations and the changing
boundaries and relations between these organizations and their social
milieus.

We seek abstracts (of up to 600 words) that focus upon some aspect of
digital culture. We hope to have a special issue of a journal associated
with the workshop as was the case last year (a special issue of the Journal
of Information, Communication, Ethics and Society is to be published early
in 2009).  Abstracts should be submitted to Ben Light at:
(b.light /at/ salford.ac.uk) <mailto:(b.light /at/ salford.ac.uk)>

Important Dates
Abstract Submission Date: 28 February 2009
Notification of Acceptance: 31 March 2009
Workshop Dates: 4 and 5 June 2009

Workshop Arrangements
The fee for presentation/attendance at the workshop is £75. This will cover
refreshments and meals throughout the workshop and a workshop dinner to be
held on the evening of the 4th of June.

There is no fee for PhD students, however they still need to register for
the workshop. PhD student registration includes refreshments during the
workshop but excludes attendance at the workshop dinner (This is subject to
a £25 fee, payable upon registration).

From February 2009, you will be able to register for the workshop at:
https://shop.salford.ac.uk

Further details regarding the location of the workshop will be posted nearer
the time at: http://www.iris.salford.ac.uk

If you experience any difficulties regarding the workshop arrangements,
please do get in touch with Nathalie Audren-Howarth at:
(n.audren /at/ salford.ac.uk).

Accommodation
Delegates should arrange their own accommodation with their preferred hotel.
Below are a few hotels in the area.

Best wishes,

Ben.

Ben Light
Professor of Technology and Society
Director: IS, Organisation and Society Research Centre
School of Media, Music and Performance
University of Salford
Adelphi House
SALFORD
M3 6EN

Tel. +44 (0)161 295 5443

www.benlight.org
www.smmp.salford.ac.uk
www.isos.salford.ac.uk

----------------------------
New books:
Discourse Theory and Cultural Analysis. Media, Arts and Literature.
Nico Carpentier & Erik Spinoy (Eds.) @ Hampton Press
http://www.hamptonpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1-57273-810-3&Category_Code=Q208
&
Democracy, Journalism and Technology
Nico Carpentier, et al. (Eds.) @ UTPress
http://www.researchingcommunication.eu/
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/