Archive for August 2008

[ecrea] 6 new Communication/Journalism positions available at the University of Massachusetts (Amherst)

Mon Aug 25 16:22:26 GMT 2008

In addition to the 5 positions announced earlier (go to: http://blogs.umass.edu/commdept/2008/07/23/faculty-search/) with deadline 1 October 2008,
here is an additional one on "News and Society":

UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION

The Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts Amherst studies communicative processes at the levels of culture, media, and representation; individuals, professionals and groups; and institutions and social structures. Much of our work takes place at the intersections of these levels of analysis. We are committed teachers and active researchers whose perspectives and methods encompass social science, cultural and professional orientations. Our faculty develops connections between theory and practice in order to advance knowledge in the field, to promote informed public debate, and to teach students how to think critically as citizens in a democratic society. We are dedicated to making our teaching and research accessible beyond the academy, as a force for sustainable social change.

The Department of Communication of the University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks to extend its international, intercultural and interdisciplinary faculty. We invite applications for the tenure-track appointment at the Assistant Professor level, in the area of News and Society.

We seek a scholar who teaches and conducts research on the nature, role, and impact of news on various audiences or in society at large. Specific concentrations could include news and public opinion, agenda setting and related processes (including coverage of politics, current affairs, entertainment, and sports). Emphasis on new media and/or international implications is desirable.

Duties will include maintaining an active research program and supervising students at B.A., M.A. and Ph.D. levels. A completed Ph.D. is essential (with degree in hand by February 1, 2009). Salary is competitive. Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2008, and will continue until the position is filled.

Applications should include a letter specifying the applicant's research and teaching interests, a curriculum vitae, list of publications, three letters of reference, one article-length example of research, and copies of recent teaching evaluations. Please clearly identify the position you are applying for by including the reference number #33689 and send materials to:

Debra Madigan, Office Manager
Department of Communication
403 Machmer Hall, 240 Hicks Way
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003-9278,  USA

The Department of Communication and the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences are committed to fostering a diverse faculty, student body, and curriculum. Please go to http://www.umass.edu for information on UMass Amherst, the flagship campus of the University of Massachusetts system, or to http://www.umass.edu/communication for more information on the Department of Communication. UMass Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer; applications from women and members of minority
communities are strongly encouraged.

begin:vcard
fn:Jan Servaes
n:Servaes;Jan
org:University of Massachusetts;Communication
adr:240 Hicks Way;;Machmer Hall 401;Amherst;MA;01003-9278;USA
email;internet:(jservaes /at/ comm.umass.edu)
title:Professor & Chair
tel;work:+1 413 545 4314
tel;fax:+1 413 545 6399
note;quoted-printable:New books +++ New books +++ New books=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	Jan Servaes (ed.), Communication for Development and Social Change, Sage:=
	Los Angeles-London-New Delhi-Singapore (www.sagepublications.com), 428pp.=
	=0D=0A=
	ISBN: 978-0-7619-3609-1 =E2=80=93 For more details, go to: http://www.sag=
	epub.in/browse/book.asp?bookid=3D1189&Subject_Name=3D&mode=3D1=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	Jan Servaes and Shuang Liu (eds.), Moving Targets. Mapping the paths betw=
	een communication, technology and social change in communities, Southboun=
	d: Penang (www.Southbound.com.my), 276 pp.=0D=0A=
	ISBN: 978-983-9054-50-7 =E2=80=93 For more details, go to:=0D=0A=
	http://www.southbound.com.my/SB_MovingTargets.htm
url:www.umass.edu/communication
version:2.1
end:vcard