Archive for February 2008

[ecrea] Call Preconference on civil rights in Mediatized Societies

Mon Feb 18 14:23:20 GMT 2008

>Call for Papers
>

>Civil Rights in Mediatized Societies:
>
>Which data privacy against whom and how?
>

>Organized by IAMCR as a Pre-Conference19-20 July
>2008 to the IAMCR 26th World Congress 20-25 July
>2008, University of Stockholm, Sweden.
>

>The need for a Pre-Conferenceon Civil Rights in Mediatized Societies
>
>Accountability for the role of media in society
>and culture is an oldtopic for media and
>communication scholars, especially for those who
>areaffiliated to the IAMCR, which at the same
>time is an Association ofresearchers and
>accepted as an NGO by UNESCO and the UN system.
>For example,topics like the Digital Divide or
>those discussed at the WSIS Summit alwayshave attracted great interest.
>
>The digitalization and the use of digitalized
>media of today are notonly areas of new
>possibilities and potentialities for a better
>life for all,for education and economy, for
>leisure and contacts between the people, but
>under the given conditions of today  also a
>growing danger for freedom anddemocracy, a
>menace for the civil rights of people, as they
>increasingly controland influence people and
>give rise to a reduction in our capacity to be
>human.  From concerns aboutBig
>Brother,questions about datamisuse rise issues
>of civil rigths, privacy and the possibilitiesof
>social and media activism.  Much academicwork on
>these issues is strongly theoretical or
>undertaken in the fields of Lawand
>Criminology.  The field of Media
>andCommunications can draw upon a broader range
>of disciplines including psychology,sociology,
>politics and communication theory itself to
>interpret and learn fromempirical evidence to
>understand the implications of these
>developments for peoplesbehavior and the
>potential danger for free and democratic societies.
>
>An example, and there are many:
>
>As Peterwalks up the main street, suddenly his
>mobile phone is ringing. A kind voicetells him
>that the retail shop he just was in front of,
>has a special offer inshoes of the label he
>usually wears. Behind this call, a lot of media
>and telecommunicationprocesses and a lot of
>computer power have been active: A camera took
>picturesof all people walking on the road  of
>course because of security reasons. A
>computerwith artificial intelligence software
>identified his face by biometrical
>attributes.The computer exchanges its knowledge
>with the police net, in order to find outthe 12
>digits personal number of the person and to know
>whether the personfulfils the important social
>norms of having a job, is not deviant, is not
>veryill and so on. Police and other governmental
>institutions cooperate with privateenterprises
>in cases like this, because the Government feels
>responsible forthe public space and the security
>of the people in the time of terrorism. Thehuge
>data stores of specialized economic enterprises
>inform about the rest: whetherhe has a credit
>card, what types of things he usually buys,
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/