Archive for February 2008

[ecrea] Analysing Media Industries and Media Production - ICA preconference

Tue Feb 05 19:54:06 GMT 2008

>Below are details of a 'preconference', due to
>take place immediately before the International
>Communication Association conference in Montreal
>in May. The preconference ends just in time for
>the reception that begins the main conference,
>and takes place in the same hotel. Registration
>for the conference and preconferences is now
>open at
>http://www.icahdq.org/conferences/2008/2008confinfo.asp
><http://www.icahdq.org/conferences/2008/2008confinfo.asp>
>
>Please note that numbers are limited.
>
>David Hesmondhalgh, Professor of Media and Music
>Industries, University of Leeds
>

>This preconference is cosponsored by the Popular
>Communication and Feminist Scholarship Divisions.
>
>Title:  Analysing Media Industries and Media
>Production: an Emerging Key Area for Communication Research
>
>Date: May 22, 2008
>
>Time: 8.30 - 17:00
>
>Place: Le Centre Sheraton Hotel, Montreal, Canada
>
>Limit: 50
>
>Cost: $80.00 ICA Members (includes morning and afternoon coffee/tea breaks)
>           $50.00 Student Members
>
>This preconference brings together established
>and up-and-coming scholars who are examining the
>fundamental question of how popular
>communication artefacts come to take the form
>they do. This question involves re-examining
>questions of cultural production, the status of
>cultural industries, and their organization in
>light of new approaches drawn from cultural
>studies, feminist and critical race studies, and
>global studies. This is a vibrant and
>interdisciplinary area, drawing on sociology,
>cultural studies, organisational and management
>studies, political economy, economics, social
>history, cultural geography, and social theory,
>to name just a few. Which theories and methods
>are most likely to consolidate the recent
>success of this field of analysis? What tensions
>exist between the various disciplines
>contributing to the field and how might they best be addressed?
>
>The preconference addresses these questions in
>four panels, consisting of leading speakers that
>represent disciplinary and geographic diversity.
>Each group of presentations will be followed by
>open roundtable discussion from all
>participants. The preconference is meant as an
>inclusive dialogue, a chance to search for
>points of agreement as well as clarify
>differences. Position papers will be posted to
>all participants before the conference and we
>will establish a blog for participants to post
>questions and challenges that we may address
>during the course of the day. Following the
>preconference, we expect to look to participants
>for next steps in considering production or
>industrial studies as part of the communication discipline.
>
>Preconference convenors:
>David Hesmondhalgh, University of Leeds
>Amanda Lotz, University of Michigan
>Vicki Mayer, Tulane University
>
>Panel 1: Traditions of Theory and Research, 8:30-10 a.m.

> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/