[eccr] Aphra Kerr Seminar: Post-Culture? Digital Media Policy Debates

Mon May 02 19:05:59 GMT 2005

>Digital Media and Digital Culture Seminar Series
>Centre for Media Research, University of Ulster
>Coleraine Campus, Northern Ireland
>
>http://www.arts.ulster.ac.uk/media/cmr.html
>
>All are welcome

>Wednesday 4 May, 2005
>3.15-5.15pm, 4-6 pm, Venue: B244, South Building, Coleraine Campus
>
>Dr Aphra Kerr <(a.kerr /at/ ulster.ac.uk)>
>Media Policy strand, Centre for Media Research, University of Ulster
>
>Abstract
>
>'Post-Culture? Digital Media Policy Debates'
>
>In film, television, radio and print media the battle is won - we no
>longer have to defend the cultural role of traditional media in
>academia, policy circles or even our everyday lives. Despite the
>erosion of 'public service' ideals it is generally accepted that it is
>'good' and 'right' that individuals should be enabled to produce
>content which is reflective of their own stories, identities and
>culture.  By contrast, digital media policy - from the internet to
>computer games - struggles to talk in these terms and go beyond
>discussions of the market and regulation. In most cases the market is
>seen as the arbitrator of public interest and what should be produced.
>Similarly, the state's role is merely to educate and
>regulate/de-regulate where appropriate. While there is growing support
>for media literacy, and this includes support for making media content,
>the debate about locally produced digital content or, at the very
>least, culturally diverse content is largely absent from national and
>some transnational industrial and cultural policy circles. This seminar
>will explore recent debates and policy documents produced by the OECD,
>the Republic of Ireland and the UK and reflect on the implications for
>Northern Ireland's digital media industries.
>
>Bio
>
>Dr. Aphra Kerr is a research associate at the Centre for Media Research
>at the University of Ulster, Coleraine and her work focuses on
>political economic and social aspects of digital media. She is author
>of a forthcoming book Gamework: Gameplay (Sage, 2005) and a number of
>book chapters and articles on the political economy and culture of
>digital games and digital media more generally.
>
>Much of her work has involved either conducting research to inform
>policy making or scrutinizing existing policy documents. She has worked
>as a consultant for government agencies in the Rep. of Ireland such as
>FÁS and Forfás as well as the DTI in the UK and most recently has
>contributed to the OECD's policy work on broadband content. She has
>also worked on a number of European funded network research projects
>including 'Strategies of Inclusion: Gender and the Information Society'
>(SIGIS), 'Social Learning in Multimedia' (SLIM) and 'Science and
>Technology Policy in Less Favoured Regions'.
>
>Aphra is the academic liaison officer on the Irish chapter of the
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info