Archive for February 2004

[eccr] Conference: Shaping The Future of Communication Research in Europe - Istanbul

Mon Feb 09 14:04:28 GMT 2004

ECA Conference: Shaping The Future of Communication Research in Europe

 >Istanbul, April  17 ­ 20, 2004
 >

 >The conference will be devoted to discussions of the current status and
 >future of communication and media research in Europe. What is the
 >situation in various strands of the field in the various countries of
 >Europe? What should we strive for? What possibilities and challenges are
 >there for the communication and media research community in business,
 >government, AND the European Union? How should research goals be defined
 >and pursued? How can the ECA aid their future accomplishment?
 >

 >The ECA has designed this conference so that European researchers from
 >many countries and strands of research will be represented. We want to
 >contribute to the establishment of a strong and active European network of
 >communication researchers ­ a network that makes a difference. During the
 >conference the participants are invited to develop networking plans that
 >can contribute to the advancement of communication and media research in
 >Europe. We invite cooperation on three general themes. If there is
 >sufficient interest, further themes can be set up.
 >

 >·         Communication Ethics. To what extent do European national
 >cultures vary in their views on ethics and its application in society?
 >Where are the ethical dilemmas particularly striking?
 >

 >·         Organizational and Strategic Communication. What is the impact
 >of strategic communication (public relations) on the information
 >society?
 >What is the role of communication in organizations undergoing fundamental
 >changes? What is the role of technologically-mediated communication in
 >organizations?
 >

 >·         Technology and Media Use. How are technologies such as the
 >Internet and mobile communication influencing European cultures? What
 >happens to media use and the users identity and cultural knowledge? What
 >can the history of technology tell us about future developments in media use?
 >

 >Three Days of Networking
 >

 >Each day of the conference is dedicated to a fundamental aspect of
 >research: On Sunday the keywords are research politics and government, on
 >Monday they are theories and methodologies, and on Tuesday it is
 >international cooperation. These are subjects that researchers need mutual
 >understanding of in order to purposefully shape the future of European
 >communication and media research.
 >

 >The Istanbul conference will be a lively and sociable event. All
 >attendants will be booked at the five star Divan Hotel, so that we live
 >close together during the event. Social events are an integrated part of
 >the ECA conference. The local arrangement committee will make sure that we
 >all get the opportunity to experience Istanbul, which is an attraction in
 >its own right.
 >

 >The ECA is a democratic and inclusive organization. The documents and
 >discussions produced in Istanbul will guide the Executive Council in its
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)