[eccr] Closing of Media Action International

Tue Dec 30 17:26:22 GMT 2003

To end the old year with a sad story.
Best wishes to you all,
Nico Carpentier

>-----------------------------------
>
>TO:     Donors, friends and colleagues of Media Action International
>FR:     Edward Girardet, Director, Geneva
>RE:     Closing of Media Action International
>DT:     15 December, 2003
>
>Dear Friends and Colleagues:
>
>As director of the Swiss foundation Media Action International (MAI), it
>is with considerable regret that I have to announce our decision to close
>down our operations. At this point, we lack the means to continue on a
>professional and responsible basis, particularly given the growing
>insecurity in Afghanistan and West Africa where MAI has projects. I am
>addressing a similar letter to the Swiss authorities in Berne and am
>informing all our past and present donors, partners and supporters. I do
>apologise for the length of this letter but feel it is worth reminding
>those who have worked with us of some of MAI's achievements in recent
>years.
>
>The principal reason for this decision has been the failure to convince
>donors, including the Swiss government, to provide the necessary support
>for our core management. This is unfortunate given that MAI has proven to
>be - according to our partners and beneficiaries - one of the most
>innovative and ground-breaking media organizations dealing with
>humanitarian crisis, peace-building and long-term recovery. However, core
>funding is a serious problem also faced by numerous other NGOs.
>
>Most critically, MAI has acted as a crucial communications bridge between
>the international community and affected populations. Its publications,
>notably the Afghanistan Monitor and the Essential Field Guide to
>Afghanistan but also Lifeline Media and the HIV/AIDS Radio Handbook have
>served as vital monitoring and background information organs for those
>involved in humanitarian action and recovery. A new and fully revised
>edition of the highly successful Essential Field Guide to Afghanistan is
>in fact being launched by Crosslines on 9 February, 2004.
>
>Regrettably, too, our closing comes at a time when MAI was in the process
>of mounting new programmes that clearly meet the needs of local
>populations. In November, 2002, for example, we launched the first of
>several media workshops in Ivory Coast aimed at avoiding a Rwanda-style
>debacle by bringing together editors and journalists from both sides. Our
>initiative quickly aroused the attention of the UN agencies and donors. In
>mid-2003, the UN Security Council cited MAI's efforts as decisive.
>
>Since the late 1990s, MAI programmes in Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo,
>Mozambique, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Central and West Africa generally have
>received sufficient project funding from donors such as DFID, DANIDA,
>World Bank, CIDA, UNICEF, UNHCR, USAID, the Dutch, Germans and others. Our
>efforts have been regarded widely as professional, low-cost and
>invaluable. Both OSCE and KFOR unequivocally described MAI initiatives in
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)