[eccr] Call for Papers - Digital Generations

Thu Oct 23 14:01:51 GMT 2003

>Digital Generations
>Children, young people and new media
>
>26-29 July 2004
>London, England
>
>A major international conference organised by
>The Centre for the Study of Children, Youth and Media
>Institute of Education, University of London
>
>Computer games, the internet and other new communications media are often
>seen to pose threats and dangers to young people; but they also provide
>new opportunities for creativity and self-determination. This
>international conference will present the most exciting and challenging
>new research on children, young people and new digital media. We aim to
>bring together researchers from a range of academic disciplines ?
>including media and cultural studies, anthropology, sociology, psychology
>and education ? and to promote dialogue within and across research
>traditions.  We also aim to develop dialogue between researchers,
>practitioners in digital media, and educators. Keynote speakers include
>David Buckingham (University of London), Marsha Kinder (University of
>Southern California), Gunther Kress (University of London) and Sonia
>Livingstone (London School of Economics). The last day of the conference
>will be an education day featuring new research and strategies for
>teachers, as well as workshops led by practitioners, such as games and web
>designers.
>
>Conference themes will include:
>·     Digital divides: social differences in children's uses of new media
>·     Globalisation and intercultural communication
>·     Changing youth and childhood identities
>·     New media, schools and informal learning
>·     Regulation: censorship or consumer empowerment?
>·     Play, games and interactivity
>·     Children and young people as media producers
>

>To submit a proposal for a paper, symposium or workshop:
>Papers will be limited to 30 minutes, which should include time for
>questions and comments.  If you would like to present a paper please
>submit a 400 word abstract with an indication of what theme(s) you will
>address.
>
>Symposia will be limited to 2 hours, with three or four presentations on a
>common theme.  Proposals should contain a cover page with the title of the
>symposium along with names, affiliation, addresses and emails of each
>contributor.  Each proposal should include an overview of the session, not
>to exceed 250 words, as well as 400 word abstracts of each of the papers.
>
>Workshops on the education day (29 July) will be limited to 90 minutes.
>Proposals for workshops should indicate the target audience as well as
>facilities required (e.g. digital editing equipment).  We encourage
>proposals for hands-on workshops.  Please submit a 400 word abstract.
>
>Abstracts and proposals must include your name, affiliation, address and
>email and should be submitted to: (newmedia2004 /at/ ioe.ac.uk)  DEADLINE: 31
>December 2003

> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
<http://www.kubrussel.ac.be/>Katholieke Universiteit Brussel - Catholic
University of Brussels
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05