[eccr] UIC 6/25-28 Fifth International Crossroads in Cultural Studies Conference

Thu Sep 18 06:52:44 GMT 2003

>Dear All,
>
>I encourage you to consider submitting an abstract for a paper to be
>presented at the  Fifth International Crossroads in Cultural Studies
>Conference, to be held at the University of Illinois, Urbana-
>Champaign, from June 25-28, 2004.  The theme of the conference
>is "Policing the Crisis."  More details about the conference can be
>found at: http://www.crossroads2004.org/
>
>I will be putting together a series of panels on Asian and Asian
>American Studies (see call for papers below).  In addition to these
>panels, the conference will also host panels on Critical Pedagogy &
>Cultural Studies, The Political & Cultural Studies, Race, Identity, &
>Representation, Performative Cultural Studies, Cultural
>Studies/Critical Methodologies, Neoliberalism, Governmentality, &
>Cultural Studies, Sport & Cultural Studies, Media Studies,
>Globalization, Transnationalism, and Cultural Studies, Latina/o
>Studies, and "Open" Topics.
>
>Keynote speakers include: Lawrence Grossberg and Meaghan Morris.
>Plenary speakers include: Bryant K. Alexander, CL Cole, Lauren
>Berlant, Christopher Dunbar, Jr., Henry Giroux, Peter McLaren, Toby
>Miller, Paula Saukko, Keyan G. Tomaselli, and Mary E. Weems.
>
>How to Submit a Paper
>
>Prospective participants should fill out the submission form in MS-
>WORD or PDF format and email it to the appropriate Area chair. You
>will need to provide a 250-word abstract for your paper, contact
>information, and what, if any, A/V needs you would like to request.
>The deadline for paper proposals to be accepted for consideration is
>February 1, 2004. Papers that privilege the mandate of the conference
>will be given the highest consideration. We anticipate notification
>of acceptance/rejection of submission by February 15, 2004.
>
>Asian/Asian-American Studies
>
>An increased commitment to interdisciplinarity is taking place in the
>field of Asian American Studies. Historians are borrowing from
>literary theory. Literary scholars are borrowing from theatre and
>performance studies. Political science scholars are drawing on
>community studies. Perhaps in response to the racial profiling
>climate before and after 9/11, perhaps because of a recognition of
>common concerns across racial and ethnic groups, Asian Americanists
>have, once again, retraced a well-worn path of doing scholarship that
>crosses disciplinary fields. The Asian/Asian American Cultural
>Studies program area invites papers focusing on cultural studies,
>interdisciplinary scholarship, contemporary cultural politics, and
>activism. Essays on transnationalism, diaspora, class, intra- and
>inter-racial studies, mixed race studies, feminist studies, queer
>studies, critical race theory, and popular culture that fall under of
>the rubric of Asian/Asian American Studies are especially encouraged.
>Note: e-mail submissions will not be accepted for this Program Area;
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/