[eccr] CFP: Sex and the Body Politic (10/20/03)

Thu Sep 04 07:29:10 GMT 2003

>The Cultural Studies Program at Kansas State University would like to
>announce its next symposium.
>
>For those of you on this listserv who've been to our conference before,
>we'd like to welcome you back. For those who've never been to the
>conference, we'd like to invite you to think about submitting a paper proposal.
>
>The conference should be lively, and the attendees always create a great
>intellectual community of cultural studies scholars and activists.
>
>CALL FOR PAPERS: 13th Annual Cultural Studies Conference
>
>Sex and the Body Politic
>
>March 4-6, 2004
>Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
>
>Plenary Speakers:
>
>*Elizabeth Grosz, author of _Space, Time and Perversion: Essays on the
>Politics of Bodies_ and _Volatile Bodies: Toward a Corporeal Feminism_,
>editor of _Sexy Bodies: The Strange Carnalities of Feminism_
>
>*Carl Phillips, author of _In the Blood_, _Pastoral_, _Cortege_, _The
>Tether_, _Rock Harbor_
>
>* Donald Hall, author of _Queer Theories), _The Academic Self: An Owner's
>Manual_, editor of _Representing Bisexualities: Subjects and Cultures of
>Fluid Desire_
>
>Topic:
>
> From clerical sexual abuse in the Catholic church, to repressive Taliban
> policies toward women in Afghanistan, to same sex marriage, to debates
> about how gender should be determined, sex is a topic that garners lavish
> popular and critical attention. From Michel Foucault's examination of our
> garrulity about sex, to Judith Butler's theory of performativity, to
> Elizabeth Grosz's emphasis on the diversity of sexually specific bodies,
> important contemporary thinkers have brought issues of sexuality and
> society to the forefront of debates within cultural studies. "Sex and the
> Body Politic" considers the construction of sexual identity as a function
> of political, social, and economic forces.
>
>We invite papers or paper proposals that explore the intersections between
>structures of "sex" and the discourses of law, science, medicine, history,
>religion, empire, and cultural taste, to name a few. We invite papers on
>all periods from ancient to the future.
>
>Possible paper or panel topics:
>
>sex and travel
>sex and race
>sex and gender
>sexual selection (plants/animals/humans)
>sex & the market
>sex and crime
>sex rituals and practices
>sex and education
>sex and discourse
>reproduction/childbirth/maternity
>sex and religion
>sex and the media
>sex and beauty
>sex and war
>
>Send 1-page abstracts to:
>Michele Janette
>Director, Cultural Studies Program
>English Department
>Kansas State University 106 Denison Hall
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/